Chapter 17 - Tomasia

I ran for student body president during my second year in high school and won...just to prove a point to my parents. When a person is constantly told they will never be good enough, they begin to crave validation and attention. I, on the other hand, craved status and power. If things went according to plan then I would reclaim my title at Jackheights. There was no rule that said I couldn't. I asked Matilda Hawkins to stay on as my VP. I replaced my secretary and treasurer, and found a new campaign manager. The boy I hired last term had been a huge help, but he said his real passion was music, the harp to be exact. He left the academy for an art school over the summer. It was such a waste of talent but I couldn't say anything to him about it.

"We've arrived Miss," my chauffeur said.

I had been staring out the window the whole drive over. "I can see that," I replied, unbuckling my seatbelt. The doors unlocked for me. I stepped out onto the school parking lot and thanked my chauffeur for his services.

My first class was in the new building. I was actually looking forward to taking grade twelve calculus with Mrs. Moon. I heard rumours about her strict personality and intense lesson plans. Everyone complained about her, but she sounded like a fun challenge to me. I thrived under pressure and found any excuse I could to improve my grade point average, unlike my brother, who used to cruise through courses without trying. It infuriated me just thinking about it.

Inside, I made my way to the stairwell and headed straight for the basement. I wanted to make sure the locks to the student council room hadn't been changed. I wanted to see if I still had access to my domain without the official title. Jackheights needed a strong and capable leader, someone who didn't just preach success but embodied it. I wasn't going to let anyone turn Election Day into a popularity contest either. Not like they did at the public schools.

I was happy to find Zander Easton standing by the entrance. He turned to meet my gaze and beamed uncontrollably. I couldn't help but smile at his reaction. I was really lucky to have a boyfriend like him. He was so passionate about our relationship, and so supportive. I honestly didn't know what I did to deserve him.

Zander pulled me into his chest and held me tightly. I wrapped my arms around his back and squeezed him. "What are you doing here?" I asked, inhaling his soapy scent. "What if someone sees you waiting around for me?"

"It would be their damn pleasure to see me waiting around for you."

"What does that even mean?"

"It means I don't care," he said, stepping back to look at me properly. He kissed my forehead and then patted my short hair. "This really suits you."

"You think so?" I asked, brushing my fingers through. "I cut it myself this morning."

"Is there anything you can't do?" Zander swooned.

I tried not to blush but it was difficult. I pulled out the keys to the student council room before he could see my burning cheeks and opened the door. I could see dust particles dancing in the air, swaying with every step I took. I didn't even want to think about what the archive room looked like. There was no time to deep clean when my council was busy organizing field trips for the first term students. Hopefully, we would be able to get around to it this term.

Zander moved to close the door.

"No, leave it open," I instructed. "We need to let this space air out. It's disgusting."

Zander disobeyed. "That doesn't bother me," he said, coming over. He picked me off the ground and set me down on one of the desks. His fingers slid through my hair gently and his face closed in. I shut my eyes and accepted his lips over mine. We got lost in each other's embrace, one sensual kiss after another. No one knew we were dating. Not a single soul. If word ever got out about us, it would be bad. Really, really bad. Zander was such a hot-head. He was protective and territorial. He would burn the whole world before he let anyone do me wrong. And there were plenty of girls ready to do just that, girls who had formed clubs just so they could admire my boyfriend from afar. For their safety and his, I had to make sure our relationship remained a secret.

Zander's beeping phone disturbed our make-out session. "Ignore it," he told me, before I could pull away. I felt his hand reach for my neck and then slowly move up to graze my bottom lip with his thumb. That didn't stop the caller from persisting.

"What if it's Loyal?" I asked breathless.

"Please don't say your brother's name when I'm about to stick my tongue in your mouth," Zander replied hoarsely.

My heart pounded like a beating drum, as he did just that. The beeping drowned out the sound of my heavy sighs but I couldn't disregard it. I dropped my head and surrendered my forehead to his lips. "It's making me nervous," I admitted. "Please answer it."

Zander pulled the device out of his blazer and picked up the call. "What the hell do you want Matsunaga?"