Chapter 5 - Khaleel

I rubbed my sweaty palms over my knees and took steady breaths. Kumar looked at me from the rearview mirror.  "You okay?" he asked.

My uncle was also dressed up but unlike me, he was sporting a full kurta. It looked more comfortable than what I had on. The three-piece suit was a little snug but I knew I had to power through it. My date would be disappointed if I didn't show up in the outfit she picked out for me.

"I'm fine," I said from the back seat.

I turned to look at the wooden box next to me. It was full of colorful bangles, which Kumar had ordered for my date. They arrived later than the customized lehenga and shalwar kameez. I was sure Arisa Hoffman would look stunning no matter what she wore but I was getting anxious to see her in traditional clothes. We hadn't been able to hang out this summer as much as I would have liked. I was busy getting to know my soon-to-be stepfamily and Arisa was vacationing in the States with her old man. We spoke over the phone and texted regularly but it wasn't the same.

I couldn't remember the last time I hit on her.

"I'll wait in the car," Kumar said, parking the sedan. He turned to look at me. "Don't be so nervous. Arisa's your friend isn't she? Just don't attack her lips and you'll be okay."

I hung my head. "Greta advice! Except for the fact that I still want her. Maybe more than before. Maybe more than anything else I've ever wanted in my entire life."

Kumar was blunt. "Why don't you torment yourself with all this after the Shaadi? Come on, get going. We're running late—your Papa wants you there before the guests arrive."

The sun hadn't even set yet, I wanted to argue. No one was going to arrive on time for a Pakistani wedding. I was sure the bride herself would be late getting to the hall. That's just how things were when immigrants hosted events. Punctuality was overrated and they brought a new meaning to the term: fashionably late.

I stepped out of the car with the wooden box and closed the door. By the time I got to Arisa's front porch, my hands were sweating again. It was so humiliating. I hadn't even seen her yet and I was already losing my mind. No girl had ever had such a scary effect on me—I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do to keep my shit together?

I pressed the doorbell and patiently waited for someone to answer before my nerves made me chicken out. Mrs. Hoffman opened the door. I smiled at her as she gave me an impressive once-over. "You clean up well, Khaleel," she commented. "Helps that I can't see the tattoos anymore."

I faked a smile. "Thanks. Is Arisa ready yet? Should I come back later? I can have Kumar pick her up if she needs more time."

Holy fuck. I was rambling.

Mrs. Hoffman saw through my nerves and smiled before saying, "She's ready. Why don't you come inside and see for yourself?"

"Sure," I replied, as my stomach somersaulted. Mrs. Hoffman gestured me into the hallway but I was too busy marvelling at the homey decor, which consisted of family portraits and potted plants.

Mrs. Hoffman got a hold of my shoulders and urged me into the living area, where I spotted my date struggling to wear her dupatta. My breaths slowed as Arisa turned to greet me. Her blonde hair had gotten longer over the summer and a lot curlier. I expected that was for the wedding. Her blue eyes were as piercing as ever, complimenting the navy and gold lehenga beautifully. I took notice of her jewelry. She was wearing gold earrings but her wrists were bare. 

"Hey," I said, offering the box to her. "These were supposed to get delivered with the outfits but arrived later than expected."

Mrs. Hoffman took the box out of my hands. Arisa struggled to walk over in heels, wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a big hug. I hugged her back as gently as I could, even though all I wanted to do was whisk her away to the condo and have my way with her. Arisa's lavender scent invaded me and I was forced to step away first.

"You look great," I said, cleaning my throat to appear more confident. "The lehenga really suits you."

"Is that what it's called?" Arisa asked, waddling to the nearest side table and kicking her heels off. "Mom, I'm sorry. I can't do it. I'll wear my gold sandal straps instead."

Mrs. Hoffman wasn't paying attention to her daughter. She was busy fawning over the colourful bangles in the wooden box. She took out a gold set and brought them to Arisa to try.

"Careful," I advised. "They're made of glass. I would try one on to see which size fits best and then go from there."

"Glass?" Arisa asked wide-eyed. "As in breakable?"

I nodded. "Yeah, my cousin said you should make sure they don't chip. Don't ram your wrist into things. It might cause a blood bath."

"Good to know," Arisa replied sheepishly. "Can you help me put them on?"

I took a single gold bangle out of the set Mrs. Hoffman was holding. I asked for Arisa's hand and guided them into the bangle. The warmth of her skin filled up my beating chest and gave me goosebumps. The small size was a perfect fit. It was so fucking adorable. I grabbed a couple more bangles and got them around her little wrist. Arisa's eyes widened in awe when the bangles clinked together.

"So pretty!" my date gushed. 

"Yeah," I said staring at her. "Very pretty."