Chapter 47 - Khaleel

I sat on a bench in the school courtyard, one hand scrolling through social media and the other stuffed in my blazer pocket. It was my new favourite place to get some peace of mind, and my presence seemed to be enough to scare away the students who wandered outside to smoke. You'd think the cold weather would discourage their bad habits but the changing leaves were too inviting to ignore. I personally liked brisk mornings over humidity, especially with my current injuries.

Strangely, running into Parker and his boys at the strip mall didn't bother me as much as my conversation with Loyal. First, he said he would go over my head if he had to, then he hijacked the operation after Tomasia said she would ask for Arisa's help. It completely rubbed me the wrong way. I wanted things to get better between us, especially after what happened with his family, but he was making it so fucking hard. For someone who loved to preach honesty, he was keeping a whole mess of shit from me, and I was done letting it slide.

A hand came into view and offered me a can of pop. I turned to find the annoying freshman standing in front of me. What the hell was her name again? I couldn't even remember. "Truce?" she asked, smiling slyly.

"I told you ninth graders shouldn't be in the new building didn't I?" I glared. "Fuck off."

"Come on," the girl said, moving to take a seat next to me. I instinctively sat up straighter and scooted away from her. I didn't know where she got her confidence from but I couldn't underestimate it.

"I'm sorry for being such a pest," she went on. "I didn't know you were so serious about Arisa Hoffman and well, if I can't date you then can't we at least be friends?"

"No," I said, putting my phone away.

The freshman pouted, as she set the orange crush next to me. "That's cold."

"What's your deal?" I asked, genuinely curious. "What did I do that you're this into me?"

Her eyes softened a bit. "I'm not surprised you don't remember that night but I'll never forget it."

Wait. Was this girl being serious? Had I met her somewhere outside of Jackheights? How the hell was I supposed to remember that when I couldn't even remember her name? She had to be messing with me—this girl was just a shit disturber, I couldn't let her get in my mind and play games. I didn't have time for her shit. My eyes flashed past the freshman to the doors to the courtyard, where I found Matilda pushing through. My old flame walked over, sporting a red pea coat and black boots. 

"We need to talk," she said, staring at me.

I blinked at her.

"Alone," Matilda added, when the freshman didn't make a move to leave.

"I guess that's my cue," the brat said, jumping off the bench. "Come find me later, Khaleel. We can pick up our conversation then."

Irriated, I took the can of pop and snapped it open. "What's up?" I asked Matilda.

"You're fooling around with ninth graders now?" she scoffed, as the brat finally got lost.

I took a big gulp and enjoyed the fizzing sensation in my mouth. "I don't need to fool around with anyone when I've got Arisa," I told her.

"Khaleel Abdul finally commits to someone," Matilda teased, moving to sit next to me. "And here I thought I would be the one to change your ways."

"Really?" I asked, holding her attention.

"It's pathetic isn't it?"

"Nah."

Matilda smiled at me for what felt like the first time in a very long time. It made me very happy to see her warming up to me again, and I wanted to do my best to not ruin that. "What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, taking another sip of the soda. It was making me cold but I didn't care to stop.

"Do you think it's a good idea for Arisa to join Tomasia's campaign?"

"Word travels fast."

Matilda sighed. "I know she's strong and despite our little squabble last term, I kind of worry about her."

"You do?"

Matilda nodded. "That day at the park, when those guys showed up to kidnap her...it was one of the most terrifying things that has ever happened to me. I thought they were going to take me too. I was scared they were going to touch me, but Arisa told me to run. She told me to leave her and I did because I was so scared. She was really brave that day. I admire her for it. When I found out she was dating Loyal, I thought about how her name would always be implicated to his and that his enemies might try and take her again—"

"She's not dating him anymore."

Silence.

"What about the implications that tie her to you?" Her question stirred my heart. I really didn't want to hurt Matilda anymore. I cared about her. I would always care about her. Even though I couldn't give her what she wanted, she would always mean a great deal to me.

"You don't have to confirm or deny this," she continued. "But I know you're in love with her. I can see it. All of Jackheights' can see it. I just don't want you to forget that in some way, Khaleel, your world is a lot more dangerous than Loyal's."

"Yeah, I know," I said, ignoring the pit that was growing in my fizzling stomach.