Chapter 21 - Arisa

Ms. Boucher, my visual arts teacher, was the second adult at Jackheights I felt a strong connection with. Mr. Hermans being the first. There was something about the doe-eyed woman that I couldn't help admire. I was hesitant to take her class to begin with, but Paulie and Krish peer pressured me into it. I'm athletic. Not artistic. I thought I would have a hard time keeping up, but Mrs. Boucher eased my worries. She said art was about expression, not precision, and as long as her students created something from the heart, they would have no problem passing her class. It was therapeutic...listening to her talk about her passion with such optimism. I hoped one day I would also be able to find a craft that meant that much to me.

I felt light as a feather when lunch started. My mood had improved immensely since the first period, since Khaleel told me off in front of the weird freshman. I was surprised by his words but I guess it was to be expected. I said some hurtful things to him. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea and completely shut me out. I still wanted to be his friend—and it wasn't like I had zero feelings for him. I had some. I could admit that much but his world still scared me. I wasn't sure if I could survive in it, not while his father and uncle were both heavily involved in their respective businesses.

I was so desperate to hold onto the lesson Ms. Boucher taught, I decided to steer clear of the rooftop losers, and headed straight for the new building. I walked along the main corridor, past the wood-shop, and stood in front of a long atrium hall. It was so pristine and magically looking, with its garden ceiling and potted plants resting along the window ledges. I couldn't believe I was finally allowed access. I scanned my ID against the key-pad stationed by the artium's doors, which made me feel kind of important.

There was a glass doorway on the other side of the atrium, which led out to the academy's second courtyard. The wooden fences were high and working well to give the third and fourth term students lots of privacy. I moved along the brick tiles and admired the greenery surrounding me, there were a few umbrellas propped up to provide sun for the students who wanted to work outside. The benches set underneath them were also made of wood and each one was close to a tall and flourishing hedge.

My eyes flashed up to the sky. It was a bit chilly for September. I expected to find students lounging in the courtyard but to my surprise, I was the only one there. I spotted a set of stairs leading up the school deck and decided to climb them. I barley reached the top when I heard a couple of voices giggling; one belonged to a girl and the other to a boy. They sounded like they were romantically involved with one another. I deducted that when I heard the girl tell the boy to not be so rough. I was ready to head back down and give the couple their privacy when the girl squealed.

"Zander!" her voice was stern. "Your hands are out of control these days!"

My jaw dropped to the floor.

"They wouldn't be if you didn't look so edible."

Yup. That was Zander's voice. It was unmistakable. I had to leave. I had to mind my own business and not let my curiosity lead me down another rabbit hole but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know which girl was feeling him up. I wanted to see which girl was insane enough to get frisky with the playboy in the new building. I hunched down and carefully moved to the tall hedge by the banister. My head peered out and I got a glimpse of Zander slowly grazing his hand up the girl's thigh and behind her skirt. He had her seated on a bench while he hovered over her, one knee resting on the seat.

"You smell so good," the playboy swooned. "I love your scent...Tommy."

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. Did he just—call her Tommy? As in Tomasia? As in the former President of Jackheights Academy? My ex-boyfriend's twin sister? It couldn't be. I couldn't get a look at her face but her reply to the comment was enough to convince me.

"Don't," she let out a soft scream. "...don't call me that, you jerk."

My face flushed bright red.

I quickly and quietly rushed downstairs, exited the courtyard, and entered the atrium. My feet moved on their own. I had no will to direct them, not while my mind was spinning with images of Zander Easton and Tomasia Wilson enjoying each other. When did they get together? Were they together? Maybe they weren't. He wasn't called the school playboy for nothing. Maybe Tomasia was just getting her fix? Maybe it didn't mean what I thought it meant?

"Don't think about, don't think about it," I lectured myself. "It doesn't concern you. It does not concern you in the slightest!"

Did Loyal know his sitter and best friend were hooking up behind his back? Was it behind his back? Maybe he knew what was going on? Maybe he was fine with it?  It wasn't like I could ask him. I had to keep my mouth shut. It wasn't my business. It wasn't.

"Hey you!" a voice called.

I turned to find three boys standing behind me. I hadn't even realized how far into the new building I had ventured. The library was nearby, and I could spot the nurse's office too.

"Me?" I asked the speaker. I recognized him and his friends from last term. They had gym class at the same time as me—they were there when I challenged Zander on the basketball court. They laughed when the sexist gym teacher underestimated me and said someone with my 'legs' couldn't hope to defeat their best player.

"Who else, blondie?" the guy scoffed. "We need you to pass along a message to your man."

"My man?"

"Yeah," he glared daggers. "Tell Khaleel Abdul the clock is ticking. Tell him, heavy is the head who wears the devil's crown."