Chapter 6 - Arisa

The lehenga was heavy but I felt good in it. Mom insisted I do a dress rehearsal before the wedding and reception. I thought it was a good idea too. We wanted to make sure the clothes fit me and surprisingly, they did. Khaleel said Kumar made the order without asking for my measurements, which was apparently a risky move. According to him, some stores allowed purchases straight off the mannequin and rack but a lot of the time the fabrics were individually bought for custom designs.

My nerves were on edge before I curled my hair and applied make-up but seeing Khaleel dressed up in the three-piece suit I had picked out for him shot my anxiety through the roof. He looked so handsome. And that haircut? Ten out of ten. Could I get through the whole night without catching feelings for him? It looked like he grew a couple more inches over the summer too. He made me feel so small and delicate when he helped me with the bangles.

Khaleel escorted me to the white sedan fifteen minutes later and opened the back door for me. Mom insisted on seeing us off. She stood on the front porch and kept track of everything that was happening. I got my seatbelt on and took a second to greet Kumar, who was also decked out. I was used to seeing him in a suit, not in traditional Pakistani clothes. It was refreshing.

"Did you guys get a haircut together?" I asked, as Khaleel sat in the backseat with me.

"Two birds with one stone," Kumar replied, starting the car. He waved at my mom through the window to let her know her daughter was in safe hands. Mom waved back and forced a smile. I guess she was still waiting for an in-person introduction to Kumar.

"I'm glad to see the lehenga fit," Khaleel's uncle said. "Are you comfortable?"

I nodded and then turned to glare at my date until he fastened his seatbelt. Khaleel had a really bad habit of flirting with death when he was in a car. While he caved to my demands, I moved on to ask Kumar about the wedding. "So, my mom was asking what time she should expect me back. Any idea?"

"Whenever you're feeling tired," Kumar offered. "Khaleel, make sure you send my number to Arisa. You can call me anytime and I will be happy to bring you home, dear."

I smiled. "Thanks Kumar."

Khaleel asked for my phone. I pulled it out of the clutch my mother gave up and allowed my date to add a new contact to my list. Kumar drove through my neighborhood and turned left onto the main street. It would take us about twenty minutes to reach the wedding hall in Killian. I felt my heart clamp up as I thought about the type of people I would end up meeting tonight. Would Khaleel's father be there? Should I get ready to say hi or would he be too busy getting married? What about the rest of Khaleel's family? How was I supposed to act around them? Mom told me to be myself but was that really my only option?

Khaleel handed my phone back to me. I put the device away and turned to face my date. "Is there anything I should know?" I asked anxiously. "Like, are there any rules I need to follow?"

"Lots," he said solemnly. "Don't talk to anybody who looks at you funny. Just turn away and mind your own business."

"Why would they look at me funny?"

Kumar laughed. "I think he's trying to warn you about the aunties. You need to be more specific, Khaleel."

"Aunties?" I repeated.

Khaleel rolled his eyes before clarifying. "It's not just the aunties. It's the horny cousins who hit on anything with a heartbeat, the mean girls and the shady uncles."

"Okay," I drawled. "So, I should stay away from the aunties, the uncles, the boys and the girls? Khaleel, that doesn't leave me anyone to talk to."

"Sumaya," Khaleel said sharply. "Stick to Sumaya and everything will be fine."

"Khaleel is right," Kumar supported. "It might seem like he doesn't have a lot of time to spare for you tonight, Arisa, so please feel free to pass time with his cousin, Sumaya."

I didn't know what to say. What was the point of Khaleel having a plus one if he was going to be so busy? Maybe he needed moral support. I knew how worried he was about gaining a new mother and two step-sisters. I might be the only buffer at the wedding. I could do that. I could be there to ease his troubles. Khaleel could have asked the rooftop losers to tag along but he didn't. He asked me. Kumar had gone out of his way to buy me clothes too. Being a buffer was the least I could do.

I nodded before resting my palm on Khaleel's wrist. "Alright," I said. "Whatever you need."

Khaleel pulled his arm away just so he could take my hand and hold it. My heart skipped a beat and my eyes flashed up to look at him.

Crap.

I was so used to texting and calling him, I had completely forgotten about his bad habits. He moved fast whenever given the opportunity.