CHAPTER 84 - Haldi Day

---------   A Day later - 27 Sep - Arnav and Khushi's Haldi Day 

Arnav looked at the yellow sticky paste in a bowl, placed in the decorative red tray, with distaste. He frowned, made a face and then finally looks at his sister.

"Ok, lets just get over with this quick", said Arnav and sit on the small stool, placed for him in the large living room of the guest house, they have rented in Mumbai for 5 days.

As decided by elders the Mehendi and Sangeet functions were held in Dehli and the Haldi & Marriage Ceremony are going to be held in Mumbai. The Raizadas and Gupats have left for Mumbai the next day after Sangeet Ceremony and the Haldi was schedule for the next day.
Khushi's Dadi wanted to have the wedding in Luckhnow as according to her, that's the actual ancestral home of Guptas, and the bride's bidaai should be done from their home. But Shashi knew well that Arnav will never agree with this, and seeing the worried glances between Arnav's Nani and Mamaji he understood that they are also thinking about the same. So he put them out of their tension and told with finality that Haldi and Marriage will happen in Mumbai.
His mother started to protest but got quite when Shashi mention that Khushi would also prefer the same as that's the place where she had spent her last 11 years and had actually grown up.
His mother knew well whats Shashi was pointing at, as she had never accepted Khushi as her grand-daughter and Shashi have to move to Mumbai with his family. She thought to stay quiet, not wanting to face embarrassment but cannot helped but feel bad that her say was not given an iota of importance.

Devyani thanked Shashi, because she won't have to deal with Arnav's temper on this issue or spent her energy in making him agree to something he hates. And her respect for Shashi grew manifold when he said that he knows that their children would want the same and Khushi's happiness means more to him than anything else. And they both know that Khushi's happiness is in Arnav's happiness and vice versa.

"Chottey, you need to ...", Anjali was saying when Arnav shot her an angry look and then look around at the few people gathered for his Haldi ... it was limited to only family and very close friends. He never liked being called Chottey with audience around, which is not his family.

"Um ... Arnav, I think you might have to take your shirt off", said Anjali.

"What? No way!!", exclaimed Arnav as he give a look towards Nani's very good friend Nitu, Shalini Masi, Mamiji, 2 of her close friends and other females present there . He would never take his shirt off in front of them.

"Do you want to spoil your shirt with this?", said Anjali as she crouch down and place the tray in front of Arnav's feet. Everyone in the family knows well that how fussy Arnav is in matter of his clothes and cleanliness.

Arnav looked at the Haldi paste and then at his sister, "Whats the need to take off the shirt? I am not planning to take a bath in that", said Arnav in low stern tone, shooting a look of distaste to Haldi paste.

Anjali sighed, her brother is too much sometimes, "We have to apply this haldi on your face, hands, arms, shoulders, neck, legs and feet.", telling Arnav like a teacher explaining to a child about his homework.

"See bhai, I guess you will be bathing in the Haldi today", said Akash teasingly, but quickly schooled his expression when Anjali shot him an angry look.

Arnav's eyes widened a bit hearing that where this sticky paste will be applied on him. He makes a sour face, "Di, just apply it on my face, hands and foot".

"Oh no no, a ritual should be properly fulfilled, right Nani, Rahul?", said Anjali looking at her Nani and husband. And they both nodded their head suppressing their smiles.

"So its better that you take your shirt off because it doesn't matter to us if its get spoiled", said Anjali ... she too can be stubborn like her brother.