CHAPTER 46

"Chotey ... Chotey ...", an elderly woman called 10 year old Arnav who was busy talking with his school friends. It was his 10th birthday.

"yes Dadi ...", said Arnav coming to his Dadi.

"Sit here ... I want to give you something", said Dadi patting the space beside her. Arnav sit beside his Dadi. Dadi took something out from a small pouch and showed it to Arnav ... it was an Om locket.

"It was your Dadaji's and now it is yours", said Dadi handing the Om locket to Arnav. Who took it excitedly and give a smile to his Dadi.

"I won't be here for long Chottey", said Dadi as she coughed. Arnav held her hand and said, "Don't say that Dadi ... you will be with me always".

"Yes I will always be with you even if I am not here", said Dadi as she caress his cheek.

"What thats supposed to mean?", said Arnav being annoyed. He never liked to be talked in puzzles. "Nothing Chottey ... you will understand it later ok. But always keep this with you ok ... this will protect you", said Dadi.

"Huh ... how is this going to protect me? Its just the locket", said Arnav as he eyes the locket in his hand.

"Its not just the locket Chottey ... it's a blessing from God and never underestimate its power ok", said Dadi and Arnav looked at her with annoyed expression.

"Oho don't look like that ... come here ...", said Dadi and take the locket from him and make it wear him.

"Happy Birthday Chottey ... May you live long and happy", said Dadi running her hand in his hair.

-------------------------------------

Arnav was sitting in his room and looking at the locket ... his Dadi's words are going through in his mind ... Just then Anjali came in and hug him sideways.

"Happy Birthday Chottey", said Anjali giving a peck on his cheek.

"Chi ... di ...", said Arnav wiping his cheek and look at his sister annoyingly, "I am not a baby that you kiss me everytime", said Arnav pushing his Di away a little.

"Whatever ... but you will always remain my baby brother", said Anjali pinching his cheek and Arnav stood up from the bed.

"Di ...", he whined ... annoyed at his Di's affection. "Chottey ...", said Anjali mimicking his tone. Just then her eyes fell on the locket around his neck.

"Hey whats this?", said Anjali taking the locket in her hands.

"Its mine ...", said Arnav taking the locket out of her hands. "Dadi gave it to me as a birthday gift".

"Can I wear it too?", said Anjali as she wanted to tease him.

"No ... you cant ... its mine", said Arnav.

"Why?  Is your name written on it?  No na ... so I can also wear it", said Anjali as she pinch his cheek again.

"Di ...", said Arnav being annoyed and takes a pillow from bed and throw it in her direction who was already at the door giggling and went out dodging the pillow.

Arnav then went to his study desk and sit on it ... opening his book to read.  Just then an idea came in his mind. He removes the Om locket from around his neck and picks up the compass then scratches a small upside down "A" on it then thinking for few seconds he scratches a "C" and "R", in backwards, just next to "A".  He looked back at his handy work and smile ... now the locket has his name.  A for Arnav ... C for Chottey and R for Ratna ... his mother.