Chapter 25 - Volturi

We all formed a line as Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix emerged from the trees.

"Hmm," a voice spoke and I immediately recognised it as Jane's.

It had been awhile since I'd last seen the Volturi but I still remembered every detail. I remembered Jane's dislike of me, her way to hurt me, to kill me. I remembered Demetri and the strange way I had felt towards him though that was nothing compared to how I felt about Kyle.

I loved Kyle and would stop at nothing to keep him safe and with me now I had him back.

I'd never let him go again.

"Welcome, Jane." Edward's tone was cool.

I clutched onto Kyle's arm tighter at the sight of them. I was worried about the outcome of this meeting; it could go extremely badly, especially with Jane and Alec here.

Jane's gaze travelled across each of us before settling on Kyle. Her eyebrows drew together, forming a crease between them, leaving her angelic face with a slightly confused expression.

"I don't understand," Jane spoke, not much interest in her voice but a very small amount of curiosity.

"He has surrendered," Edward explained, answering the confusion in her mind.

Jane's gazed flashed to Edward, questioning his words. "Surrendered?"

Felix and Demetri exchanged a quick glance, worrying me. What were they thinking? What was going on? Were they going to hurt Kyle?

Edward shrugged. "He's with us."

"No he's not. He is a newborn. Those who break the rules aren't given options," Jane said flatly.

Was she saying because Kyle was one of the newborns he couldn't join us?

What did she mean he had no options? Kyle had done nothing wrong.

"Aro hoped that we would get far enough west to see you, Carlisle. He sends his regards," Jane spoke, changing the subject. The others were still to speak.

Carlisle nodded. "I would appreciate it if you would convey mine to him."

"Of course." Jane smiled. "It appears that you've done our work for us today . . . for the most part." Her eyes flickered to Kyle. "Just out of professional curiosity, how many were there? They left quite a wake of destruction in Seattle."

"Eighteen, including this one," Carlisle answered. I knew he was referring to Kyle as 'this one' as he was trying to keep some information from Jane, not a lack of respect. I agreed, not wanting them to knew about Kyle or us together though our close proximity was probably a hint.

Jane's eyes widened, and she looked at the fire again, Felix and Demetri exchanging another glance.

How I wished for Edward's gift so I could know what they were thinking.

"Eighteen?" Jane repeated, her voice unsure, the first time I had ever heard her less then 100% confident.

"All brand-new," Carlisle said dismissively. "They were unskilled."

"All?" Jane's voice was sharp. "Then who was their creator?"

"Her name was Victoria," Edward answered, his voice lacking emotion.

"Was?" Jane questioned.

Edward inclined his head toward the eastern forest. Jane's eyes followed, taking note of the other column of smoke caused by the burning of Victoria and Riley.

Jane looked back after a moment. "This Victoria - she was in addition to the eighteen here?"

"Yes. She had only one other with her. He was not as young as this one here, but no older than a year," Edward told her.