Chapter 23 - Morning

I got dressed into a pair of leggings, trainers and a tight long sleeved top. They were the best clothes for fighting in: they were flexible, they weren't baggy, they wouldn't hinder me in anyway, and they looked good.

We didn't have long to go now before the newborns were due to arrive.

We met up with the wolves, in the clearing, about an hour before the battle, letting them know how long we had left.

Bella had gone overboard with her trial making yesterday.

I could smell her blood. The thrust flared up in my throat and I sunk to my knees, my hands digging into the ground, as I held myself back from running to find Bella.

Her blood was delectably sweet and I craved the taste of it. One smell had me on my knees.

I was weak.

"El," Jasper said, approaching my cautiously.
"I can smell it, Jasper," I whispered, struggling to keep myself here.

"I know. I can too," he answers as he reached here I was on the ground. "But the blood isn't the important thing right now. The newborns are on their way. We can't afford to be distracted."

Jasper was right. I needed to pull myself together; I had to focus on the fight.

Focus.

Blood.

Focus.

Fight, newborns, blood.

Focus.

Blood.

I couldn't focus on what I needed to. I couldn't help but smell the blood.

"Ignoring the blood is the only way you'll be able to avenge Kyle," Jasper said and that was what snapped me out of it.

The blood didn't matter to me when Kyle was in my mind. I was doing this for him, and of course Bella as well, but avenging Kyle's murder was what kept me focused.

Then I heard it.

The first sounds of the army approaching.