Chapter 7 - (Part 2) Date

Luckily it was cloudy as I drove Carlisle's Mercedes to the ice rink to meet Kyle. I had insisted I drive though Emmett was up for dropping me off and giving Kyle a little scare. I'd rolled my eyes at him and left before he could do anything else.

Kyle was already waiting for me when I arrived. He was stood outside the ice rink wearing jeans, sneakers and a white polo shirt with a black jacket.

"Hey," I said, getting out the car as Kyle walked over to me.
"Hey," he said with a smile. "You look nice."
"Thank you, so do you."
"Thanks. So are you ready?"
"Will you tell me what we're doing?"
"Uh uh. Not yet anyway. What time do you have to be back by?"
"No time," I said hesitatingly and Kyle smiled.
"Good. Now let's go."

"Go where?" I asked again.
"Nice try," he said with a laugh. "Now, we can either walk to the train station or drive."
"How far a walk is it?"
"10 minutes roughly."
"Let's just walk."
"Are you sure you can in those heels." Kyle laughed.
"Very funny." I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes, of course I can. I have perfect balance."
"I know," he said but their was something strange about the words, as if they meant something else. I just let it go.

We walked to the train station and we spoke on the way. We talked about small random things like favourite colours, animals, music etc.

We sat down opposite each other, on the train, taking up one of the four seat areas (four seats, two opposite the others).

"So..." I began "where are we going?"
"I'm not going to tell you. Well, not the main thing anyway, that's later on. We'll have to stop for something to eat first, a few stops down the line. I have an idea of the restaurant I want to take you to." Kyle was smiling but I was trying to mask my expression of horror. I'd completely forgotten that spending the day with Kyle would mean I had to eat. All part of the facade I guess, though I was not looking forward to having to choke it all back up later.

"So how old are you?" I asked.
"17, you?"
"16."
"You're too beautiful to be just 16. You seem older, act older. You're not immature enough."
"Well, girls do mature faster than boys." I laughed and Kyle did too but it was disturbing that he seemed so aware of my age. I was way older than 16 and I guess being that old had made me maturer than the average modern 16 year old. Maybe I did carry myself in a different way to others but that's what you get when you were raised in the early 1900s.

"Do you go to school around here?" Kyle asked me.
"No, I'm home schooled." I wasn't, everyone was too depressed since we'd left Forks and none of us were in the mood to attend high school here. "What about you?"
"I'm studying for my A levels." I'm from England and the American school system just confuses me. I don't know if A levels are the same and what Grade it equates to but since Kyle is 17 then whatever level that would be.

"Cool, what are you studying?"
"Sport and law."
"They're very different," I said. "Why take both?"
"I want a career in sport, it's what I love, but my mum doesn't think it's a career. She thinks athletes peak at 25 then crash by 30 and have nothing to last them the rest of their lives but since she's sick I thought I should do it for her." His tone was sad by the end.

"I'm sorry," I said. "Is it bad?"
"It's not great," he said "but there is a chance and I know she won't stop fighting. She's getting there best care she can so there's hope, I guess."
"What does your Dad think of your career choice?" I asked wanting to change the subject slightly. Kyle didn't say anything for a moment which confused me. I was about to say something else when he said:
"My dad died."

I sucked in a gasp of unneeded air. "Oh," I said lamely. Why couldn't I think of anything to say?! After a moment I whispered: "so did mine." Kyle's eyes immediately softened and I found myself trapped in his gaze. His eyes were deep brown and warm.
"You and your siblings are adopted, right?" He asked in a gentle voice. I nodded. "What happened to your parents?" Kyle voice was quiet and soft. I dropped my gaze and stared down at my hands. I hadn't thought too long about my family in a long time. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Kyle said, noticing my hesitation to speak of my parents.