Chapter 11 - Army

Originally I'd said no to Maria's request but after a few more minutes talking to her, I accepted.

I don't know how it happened but she even convinced me to try human blood again. I drank one human and the taste was so much better than any animal, even a bear.

We won our fights without really fighting at all. I made our enemy senseless before any of our army was killed. Our newborns then went and killed them whilst they stood there not being able to see hear or smell. Our territory grew tremendously.

Maria appointed me her second in charge which did have its pros. For one it meant the newborns had to listen to me and do what I told them to. I also got to train them which was fun. The negative side was that I had to kill the newborns once they became too old.

One time I suggested to Maria that we keep them as we didn't need the strength anymore since I always used my power. She had told me "It is always best to be prepared; you never know what we will face next." It had confused me at the time and still did. We had never lost a fight and did not look like we were going to now.

Over time my power started to evolve I could not only control what people could see, hear and smell but also what hey could feel (as in the sense of touch). It allowed me to render them utterly senseless.

I was content with Maria which surprised me. It left me with a sense of belonging, something I hadn't felt since becoming a vampire. I was suddenly over come with grief and longing for my family. However recently, that feeling had stared to fade. I enjoyed human blood slightly less than when I had first joined and my desire to stay wasn't quite as strong.

We had just defeated another army, the last in Texas, which now meant we controlled all of the state. I heard the sound of running growing louder. "Maria," I said at normal volume knowing she would hear. "I think someone is coming."

She paused in silence before answering "I can hear it too. We have the numbers though. Prepare to use your gift." I turned to the direction of the approaching noise and a few seconds later, a group of 5 vampires came into view.

I recognised them immediately; black cloaks, hoods up. Why did the Volturi have to get involved with everything? Only five of them though: Aro, Jane, Alec, Felix and Demetri. My eyes lingered on Demetri and that feeling rose in me again. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Ah, young Eliana," Aro spoke, like usual. "I was not expecting to see you here."
"I was not expecting to see you either Aro. What brings you here?" Maria wore a look of shock, most likely due to the way I had spoken to Aro but then there were also flickers of annoyance, probably because I had spoken not her.

"We are here on business. There have been rumours about a growing army that has taken control of most of Texas and we came to see for ourselves."
"All of Texas, not most," I corrected.
"So the rumours are true?" Aro's face sparked with curiosity and another emotion that to me looked like concern.

"And why is that a problem?" Maria asked, wanting to regain her lead over our group.
"Because we are concerned about you branching out of Texas and heading North where these armies are very uncommon. We would not want to encourage nor provoke more fighting between our kind."

Aro hid it well but I knew he was lying. That is when I realised that he felt threatened by us. The Volturi being threatened, as if.

"Well, we shall not invade the North of the United States," I said. Maria's head snapped towards me, a scowl on her face. "So we have no more business here." I heard a faint growl from Jane's direction. She is very loyal to Aro.

"It appears we do not though I do have one more question for you. Have you reconsidered? Would you like to join us? We know your gift is incredibly strong."
"Stronger now," I told him and he looked curious. "But no I have not decided to join you."
"And you Maria, your gift has always been powerful?"
"Gift? What gift?" I turned to face Maria.

"You didn't know?" Aro asked. I shook my head. "We met Maria many years ago when the fights you have were on much larger scales. More like wars and the damage was very conspicuous. Eleazar was with us at the time and you obviously know about his gift. He told us Maria had a strong gift but she refused to join us then."
"What's the gift?" I asked. I couldn't believe that after all this time, Maria hadn't told me.
Aro explained "Maria has a persuasive edge. People tend to always see her side of things, go along with what she says."

I stood frozen for a moment in shock. Then I turned on Maria. "How could you?!" I yelled. Aro folded his arms and smiled. It looked like he would enjoy this. "I've stayed with you for over 20 years and it was all because of your gift? That's how you convinced me to stay during our first conversation, how you made me enjoy human blood!" I felt sick.
"Eliana-" She began but I cut her off.
"No. You lied to me. That is why my want to stay here has decreased recently. Your power was wearing off. I bet that's why your last second in command left. You made him feel like he belonged here but then it weakened and he left. I'm glad he left. And I don't want to be here for a second longer!"

Maria's face contorted in anger. She looked like she was about to lunge at me when I turned everyone there senseless: Maria, the Volturi, the newborns. Then I ran as fast and as far as I could. I used my gift for as long as I could but at one point the range got too far. If I could have cried I would. I didn't know where I was, I didn't look. I just kept running.

-~-

Shoutout to: @DEMAPPLES670 💓💓💓