Chapter 12 - Realisation

It was before school on Monday 4th July. Alice had been trying all night to see what would happen in Seattle and if we went. But she couldn't see anything. It was worrying.

We only had a week until graduation though school wasn't on our minds much these days.

But still, we had to go.

It was a very normal, boring day.

At the end of the day, Edward, Alice, Bella and I walked to Edward's Volvo.

"I have foreseen..." Alice began, her tone ominous. Edward tried to elbow her in the ribs but she neatly dodged out the way, grumbling a "Fine," in response. "Edward is making me do this. But I did foresee that you would be more difficult if I surprised you," she said to Bella.

"In English?" Bella asked, having no idea what Alice was going on about. I knew but I didn't remember Alice making these plans. I was probably too distracted.

"Don't be a baby about this. No tantrums," Alice said.
"Now I'm scared," Bella replied, very understandably. That probably wasn't the best way for Alice to start.

"So you're — I mean we're — having a graduation party. It's no big thing. Nothing to freak out over. But I saw that youwould freak out if I tried to make it a surprise party," Edward reached over to miss her hair and Alice gracefully danced out the way. "and Edward said I had to tell you. But it's nothing. Promise," Alice told Bella.
Bella sighed heavily. "Is there any point in arguing?"
"Is there ever any point in arguing with Alice," I said, turning to Bella.
"Okay, Alice. I'll be there. And I'll hate every minute of it. Promise."
"That's the spirit! By the way, I love my gift. You shouldn't have," Alice said happily.
"Alice, I didn't!"
"Oh, I know that. But you will."

Sometimes the whole seeing the future thing was very annoying.

"Amazing," Edward muttered. "How can someone so tiny be so annoying?"
Alice laughed. "It's a talent."
"Couldn't you have waited a few weeks to tell me about this?" Bella asked. "Now I'll just be
stressed that much longer."
Alice and I frowned as we turned to
"Bella," Alice said slowly. "Do you know what day it is?"
"Monday?"
Alice rolled her eyes. "Yes. It is Monday...the fourth." Alice grabbed Bella's elbow, spinning her round and pointing to one of the many bright flyers pinned up around the school. This one was depicting the date of graduation.

"It's the fourth? Of June? Are you sure?" Bella asked, sounding somewhat shocked. Nobody answered.

Alice just shook her head sadly, feigning disappointment, Edward's eyebrows lifted, and I just stood there. "It can't be! How did that happen?"

Honestly, I wasn't surprised by Bella's reaction. She had been all too willing to throw away her mortality and become a vampire when it was just something that was going to happen in the future. But now it was here, she wasn't ready to say goodbye to her friends, her family. She wasn't ready to give it all up.

I'm sure Edward was going to have a field day with that.

There was no way he'd ever let her change without being 100% ready and who knew when that would be.

We continued to the car and Alice and I got in the back, Bella in the passenger seat and Edward driving. He didn't try and talk to Bella; she was clearly deep in thought.

Edward dropped Alice and I back at the house before driving to Bella's house with her.

He came back later on and we were all thinking about Seattle. We'd decided half a dozen times to go to Seattle, despite our discussion yesterday. And every time, Alice couldn't see anything.

"Jasper?" I said, later that night, or maybe early morning, when we were the only two left in the living room.
"Yes, Ellie," he said as he looked up from his book.
"Are you worried about Seattle?" I asked and he looked at me, slightly confused.
"We're all worried about Seattle, El."
"But are you more worried than the others?" I persisted.
"What are you getting at?"
"It's an army, isn't it?" I said, meeting his gaze.