One

Sophia let out a loud sigh as she sat in a small booth inside of a cafe. She wasn't a big coffee drinker and to fit the spirit of the fall season, ordered herself a hot chocolate.

"Soph!" She heard as a small bell chimed altering that someone had either walked in or exited the small space. "I'll be right over, I'm gonna grab myself a drink first."

Sophie nodded her head at her friend and set her phone down on the table, gently leaning against it. After a few minutes, Angelina came over to the table and sat down with her iced Carmel macchiato.

"So what is it, what brings us out today?" She asked, taking a rather long sip of her drink. It's surprising she didn't get a sugar rush or brain freeze right then and there.

She shook her head at her friend and leaned back against the cushioned booth. "Well, it's about me and Evan."

"Oh, exciting! Did you guys finally pick a date for the wedding?" She asked, a grin forming on her lips.

"Actually... we broke up."

Angelina's smile quickly dropped as the look on her face switched over to concern. She reached out to Sophia and placed her hands on top of her friends, wanting to provide her some sort of comfort as she spoke.

"It just wasn't working anymore, no matter how much I wanted it to. I loved him, I always have. But even after five years and an engagement, day to day things were just getting worse. We were becoming distant and growing apart, to the point that the actual decision to break up barely even hurt. At that point, we both expected it and just decided that it was going to be the best decision. So, here I am." She said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Soph, I'm so sorry to hear that. I honestly thought you guys were doing good and happy, but I can completely understand that it's easier to fake things in public rather than in your own home setting."

"Still, I don't want to dwell on it. It was mutual, so there's no hard feelings. I personally need to get out of the house because it's so empty with me. He took the dog and the cat so it's just me. Anyways, I figured there would be no perfect time than right now to take a trip for a week or two and do something that I love."

"What did you have in mind?" She asked, sitting back as she took a sip of her coffee.

"I want to book a trip to Las Vegas for next week, and I want you to come. I know it's extremely short notice, but I wouldn't want to do this with anyone but you. I planned on staying there for two days, mainly for the fact I wanted to go to Zak Bagan's Haunted Museum, and literally nobody would want to join me on that adventure but you."

"I like it already! I'll get some shifts switched around, there is no way I'm missing out on this."

"Then after that well drive a few hours to Los Angeles. I thought of taking a tour of the Hollywood Hills, I would love to just be able to see the Sharon Tate home. But, it would be cool to check out some haunted places and do a little bit of our own investigating. I've been dying to do it, and you're well aware. I know it won't be hard to find any places to go to, just for the fact we've watched so many Youtuber's go to places in LA. This trip is gonna be sick!" She said, taking a swig of her hot chocolate.

"Girl this is so exciting! It's too bad Evan never liked any of this stuff or we could've started this a long long time ago. Better late than never, am I right?"

"How about I take care of the hotels, and you book the plane tickets? I was looking to leave Saturday morning, preferably early because of the time being two hours behind down there."

"On it!" She pulled her phone out of her purse and unlocked it, opening the browser look for flights from Denver, Colorado to Las Vegas, Nevada. "Anything but Spirit, obviously."

"United Airlines has an 8 am flight non stop, $95 per person. I say we hop on that opportunity."

"You don't have to tell me twice. I'm gonna look through some hotels and try to find a good one to book, along with the tickets for the museum for Sunday.

—•—

Saturday morning quickly arrived, Sophia let out a yawn as the two pulled up to the drop off at the airport. Angelina's husband Ryan drove them so they didn't have to put money out for an Uber, they were always a little more pricey when it came to going to the airport.

"I love you, I'll see you next Saturday." Angelina said, kissing his cheek before opening her door to get out of the passenger seat. "I love you, be safe. I hope you two have fun. Love you, Soph." She was in the middle of getting out of the car and yelled back. "Love you too!"

They both had a carry on purse on their shoulders and took their suitcases from the trunk. Angelina closed it and waved her husband off as they began to walk into the airport.

It was bustling with people, the early morning and the late night always seemed to be the busiest time of the day, but going in the morning was always the most rewarding. If you're going to travel somewhere, you might as well have the entire day for activities.

Angelina pulled up the tickets on her phone, "Gate 5A.." she trailed off, glancing around at the signs. She pointed to the left where she saw gates one through six on a sign. They had 45 minutes until their flight and still needed to get through security to make it for the boarding call.

The girls walked side by side through the crowds to get to the lower part of the airport where the security check was. Angelina had the tickets on her phone ready to get through the first part, once they were scanned she went first to put her items in a black tub and slipped her shoes off and tossed them into it as well. She stepped forward into a tall machine and held her arms out vertically as the machine did a full body scan to see if she had anything dangerous on her. As she did this, Sophia put her suitcase and purse into a tub and slipped her sandals off, and walked forward when called in next for her fill body scan.

One thing she hated was the part after. It seemed so slow when it was your turn, but so fast when you were done and others were behind you. It always felt like a rush to get your shoes back on and take your items from the tub.

Once they were done, they had 15 minutes to make it to the gate. "Fuck, there goes getting food for the flight. Let's stop at one of the shops by the gate so we can get a snack."

Angelina nodded her head. "At least the flight is only two hours, we can grab some lunch when we get to Vegas."

They were by gate three so they needed to speed walk to make it to the shop that was around the corner from their gate before they started the boarding calls. Sophia grabbed a s'mores pop tart and a bottle of water, Angelina grabbed a Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal bar and a small bottle of orange juice.

They both checked out and turned the corner as they heard "up next to board the eight am flight to Las Vegas, Nevada is Economy Class B."

"That's us!" Angelina said. They walked over to the short line and waited until it was their turn, Angelina holding her phone out so they could scan both tickets. A printed copy of the tickets was handed to Sophia.

"Enjoy your flight."

"Thank you!" The girls said in unison, walking past her to board the plane.

"Vegas, here we come!" Sophia yelled out.