Forty Eight {Colby's POV}

"Bye mom, bye dad." I said as I hugged each one of them goodbye. It was a very bittersweet moment to know this is the last time I would have a reason to be in Kansas, the last time in my childhood room. This place from now on was just going to be a memory.

I wiped a tear from the corner of my eye when they closed the front door. I stood there for a moment just looking over the house once more. After twenty-three years i was saying goodbye to home. For good.

I opened the backseat door and tossed my suitcase inside then closed it. I got into the drivers side and started the car, giving it a minute to warm up. It was pretty cold and snowy here, but not as bad as it was for Sophia.

When I woke up I checked on a flight to Denver and saw that there was a delay. Nothing was going to stop me from getting to her. I wanted to be there with her. Especially with me and Sam taking a break from filming, I had all of the free time in the world. Not to be rude, but she was honestly crazy if she thought I was going back home. But I wanted her to feel good.

"Heading to the airport to catch my flight back to LA. I'll call you as soon as I get back." I hit send and opened the message from Angelina that had Sophia's address in it. I punched that into my GPS ready to start my drive.

Then a text came in from Sophia. "Have a safe flight. Here's a playlist I made for your trip back. ❤️" included was a link to a Spotify playlist labeled "For Colby".

POV - Ariana Grande
Safety Net - Ariana Grande ft. Ty Dolla $ign
Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Golding
Boom Clap - Charli XCX
Can I - Kehlani
Pu$$y Fairy - Jhené Aiko
Not Another Love Song - Ella Mai
Nasty - Ariana Grande
My Favorite Part - Mac Miller ft. Ariana Grande
Hug - Love For Hire
10,000 Hours - Dan + Shay ft. Justin Bieber
Body Say - Demi Lovato
Levitating - Dua Lipa ft. DaBaby
Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley
Good Thing - Jake Miller
Catching Feelings - Justin Bieber
Love Me Like You Do - Justin Bieber
How to Love - Lil Wayne
Good for You - Selena Gomez fr. A$AP Rocky
A Sweeter Place - Selena Gomez ft. Kid Cudi
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
I Want You To Know - Zedd ft. Selena Gomez
Love on the Brain - Rihanna

Most of these songs I never heard because I typically don't listen to mainstream music, but it clearly had a message. It was going to kill some time while I did this.

Driving from Kansas all the way to Denver.

Most of the drive was pretty easy. After about three hours in I pulled into a rest stop to use the bathroom and grab something to eat. I slipped a mask on and went inside of the building and saw that just a pizza place was open.

After using the restroom I went over and got two slices of pepperoni pizza and a coke. I paid for it and went back out to the car to eat.

While I was eating in the car I realized it was getting close to the time that a flight to LA would be arriving. So I knew that I would have to call Sophia soon and make up a good excuse to cover my ass so she wasn't on to me.

I got out of the car and tossed my trash and started up the car and got back on the road. There was about two hours left of my drive, and I was a little tired. But knowing that she was going to be in my arms soon kept me going. I just didn't know what the weather was going to be like driving into Denver.

An hour passed and I decided to call her and say that I was "on my way home". My phone was connected to the car and I clicked on her contact and let it ring.

"Hey Colby." She said and let out a yawn. "Ryan and Angelina just left, it stopped snowing and the roads are finally cleared up which is good."

"That's good. I just wanted to let you know that I'm on my way home. Jake picked me up but he's passed out so I'm driving home."

"Well I'm happy you made it home safe. It's been a pretty long day so I think I'm gonna lay down." She let out another yawn, which just hearing that made me yawn myself.

"That's fine. I'll talk to you later, thanks for staying up to make sure I get home. Your playlist did help speed the time up during my flight."

"I'm glad you liked it. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight Colby."

"Goodnight Soph." I smiled softly and hung up the call and let my phone go back to the playlist.

It was only 10:30 pm and I still had 45 minutes left to my drive, so I decided to call Sam to pass the time and get the rest of my drive to go faster. Instead of a regular call I FaceTimed him.

"Hey Colby, you gonna be home soon brother?" He asked.

"Yeah, about that.." I let out a chuckle and ruffled my fingers through my hair. "I'm actually about to be in Denver."

"Woah, what?!" He looked pretty shocked. Sam was still in Kansas with his family and Kat.

"Well, we aren't filming anytime soon and I made a promise to Soph that I would come and visit her. So I decided to do just that. I'm going to spend some time down here with her. She needs it. I still need to find out what happened with her dad on thanksgiving and why he hit her.. I just don't think she should be alone right now." I glanced between the road and my phone as I chewed on the inside of my cheek.

"I understand you wanting to keep her safe. Just be careful down there brother, alright? I'll see you when we're all back home."

I nodded my head. "See you then. Enjoy the rest of Kansas." I said and hung up the call.

Then the drive cut down to ten minutes. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I've never had a reason to drive to someone like this, to have the initiative to even have the mindset to do something like this. With her, I knew it was worth it.

I didn't know if she was going to accept me just showing up.

Shaking the thoughts out of my bed I pulled into the driveway and parked the car, turning the engine off, and unbuckling my seatbelt.

I sat there for a minute just looking at the house. Just one room was lit and I could imagine that was her bedroom, just from seeing a glimpse of a silhouette walking past.

It was now or never.

I got out of the car and slowly closed my door so I didn't make much noise. I walked up the steps and let out a shaky breath as I raised my hand up and knocked on the door three times.

This was it. The moment of truth.

** A.N. **

I just want to say a huge thank you for giving my first Sam and Colby and paranormal story a chance. Today this story went #1 on the Colby tag, dethroning some of my favorite books and writers. I couldn't feel anymore grateful for you guys and following along chapter after chapter. There is so much more in store for them and you! ❤️