Thirty Nine

When I woke up the next morning I laid in bed tossing and turning as I scrolled through my phone. Normally it was pretty dry despite just speaking to Colby. That was my own fault though. When I came back from the trip I asked for time to myself until I was ready.

There was such an overwhelming feeling hovering over me each and every day when I first came back. From what would happen between me and Colby, what I would do back at home, and the situation with Angelina.

But November was soon going to be coming to a close. Hell, this week would be leading into thanksgiving, and now I knew exactly what I wanted, so it was time to move on.

After a hot shower and a simple lunch, I plopped down on the couch to watch some tv. I decided to watch some reruns of Jersey Shore being I had nothing better to do.

I curled up under a blanket a few minutes into the show and unlocked my phone, deciding to FaceTime Sam. I needed his help more than anyone else with the plan that I had in mind.

After a few rings he answered. "Hey Soph! How's it going?"

"Good actually. Do you have a minute to talk in private? There's something that I'm going to need your help with." I said, chewing on my lip.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and I honestly had no idea why I was so nervous. Maybe it had to do with completely uplifting my life. Just maybe it had to do with the fact that I was finally taking charge of my life and my happiness.

"So, what's up?" He asked as he closed the door to his bedroom.

"I have a plan in mind to surprise Colby, but I'm going to need your help to make this actually work." I watched as his eyes lit up. "Of course!"

"So, I'm going to be selling my house, for one. I was going to call a realtor tomorrow to get the process started, because I'm going to run out of time if I don't start doing this anytime soon."

"Wait a minute... are you saying what I think you're saying?" He asked, a grin forming on his lips.

"Well, yes. I want to find a place in LA. That's part of where you come in. I can't actually be there to say any of the places, so I was wondering if you would be able to go see them and have me on FaceTime so I could see the place and ask questions? I want to find something semi close to the area you guys are in, but something that will also fit my budget."

"Dude, Colby is going to lose his mind when he finds out you'll be here! Do you mind if Kat tags along while I do this?" He asked.

"Oh no, not at all. Just as long as you guys don't speak a word to anyone. I really want to be able to surprise him for his birthday. If I could leave the last days of December and give myself time to move in and set up, that would be perfect. Then comes his birthday though.." I trailed off for a second.

"What if we planned a nice little dinner with the entire friend group at a fancy restaurant, and we'll leave an empty seat beside him. I'll walk up behind him, tap him on the shoulder. He wouldn't know how to react if he just saw me out of nowhere, especially with this entire lockdown ordeal."

"We could definitely make that work. I can look into some places and see what we can work with. I'm positive we could pull this off. It would be the ultimate gift for him." He nodded his head then raked his fingers through his hair.

"Honestly Soph, I'm really happy that you two have found each other. I know how worrisome things were about you guys being apart, but even when you aren't here and you guys still FaceTime and what not, he's so happy. Believe me, I've seen him happy, but never in this form. He deserves it, and so do you. Speaking of, what ever happened between you and Angelina?" He asked.

I let out a sigh and shrugged my shoulders. "We haven't talked yet. I've been sticking to my own lane and really trying to figure myself out before I spoke to anyone. She is my best friend and we are going to fix this, without a doubt. I just needed my space and to get things started before I spoke to anyone. I wanted to figure my life out before she started hitting me with a million and one questions all over again."

He nodded his head. "I get it, just don't push it off forever, yanno?"

"Of course. After I get the realtor to come here and check things out and get this place listed I'll reach out. I wanted things to be set in stone so no distractions could stop me from doing this."

I moved from laying on my back to my side and held the phone a little closer this time. "My heart belongs in Los Angeles, as if that wasn't already obvious. I'm going to make things right before I leave, and if that upsets anyone, I'm sorry but it's time for my happiness to come first."