Chapter 5

Alex rushed away from the group to her office, still having shallow breaths. She sat down on her chair and opened a drawer in her desk and reached in for a locket. It had a picture of her mother and brother in it. She wanted to call Brian but, the others wouldn't want him or Mia involved. But she did reach for her phone.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." The deep British voice of Deckard Shaw came from the doorway with his hands in his pockets. "Cypher's probably listing in on our conversation right now, you don't want anyone else to get hurt, do you Lex?" Alex sighed sadly.

"You're right. They wanted to get out of this, I shouldn't pull them back in." Alex was fiddling with her locket while looking at Shaw. "I just needed to talk to him," she looked at her desk. "He understands." She started to tear up with her memories of the night Cypher ruined her life. Shaw looked good the ground, debating on discussing their past life together but, decided against the idea.

"He's not the only one who understands. We both know that. I read your file, Alex." Alex stood up fast, very upset and a little angry.

"Why did you do that?" Alex was speaking fast and started to back him into the wall, fiddling with her locket. "Why, why, why?" Alex's breathing sped up and was shallow. Deckard watched her, trying to think of what to do.

"Alex," he grabbed her shoulders to make her stop pacing. She didn't look upset or angry any more... she looked scared. "I know about your health concerns. I didn't read past that..." he looked into her eyes and grabbed her hands holding them up, near their chests "But, we found Torretto, that's the reason why I came in here." Alex and Deckard were staring at each other. Alex yanked her arms away and they stood there for a moment.

"Where." Alex said, barely above a whisper. It was more of a statement rather than a question. She didn't look into his eyes.

"New York." She finally looked into his eyes and they started to remember their past, all of the feelings and all of their missions. Alex nodded. She walked towards her desk and sat down.

"I'll wait for you outside when your ready" He started towards the door until Alex spoke up.

"Thank you." He stopped and looked at her

"For what?"

"Calming me down." He smiled

"You know that I'd do anything for you." And with that, he left.

~~~
How are you all liking this book so far?