17 | Brothers and Revelations

Sorry for not updating in a long time. As I said in my one-shot book, I got stuck with the conversation. I ended up altering the plot a bit so I can continue. And I'm sorry for the short chapter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Night Five Part 2

"NO!"

It was a good thing that the walls of each bedroom are soundproof or else everyone would be startled at the sudden scream that came out of Marshall's mouth.

"Please not him," Marshall begged. "Please... don't let me kill Chase. I'm begging you."

The mastermind was unapologetic. "Either you kill Chase or you choose someone else to die," the mastermind said unapologetically. "That's just how the game works. That or I kill your mother, Marshall."

Tears formed in his once innocent-looking blue eyes that were now filled with pain and guilt. He didn't want to do it, but he knew he had to.

"I... I'll do it," Marshall whispered, his eyes slowly filling with determination.

"Anything for my sister."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chase didn't know why, but he couldn't sleep no matter how he tried. There was this increasing feeling of dread looming upon him and he couldn't help but feel anxious.

His thoughts drifted towards his conversation with Everest earlier. Based on the mastermind's decisions, this night's victim will either be him or the older girl. If their plan works, either he or Everest would die tonight and the other would get voted out the next day. Then Marshall would kill the twins and emerge as the sole survivor of this game.

He was snapped out of his musing when his door opened at exactly 2:00 in the morning, and Chase felt his heart jump to his throat. This was it. This was his end. And he accepted it.

"Hey, Marshall," Chase said as a hooded figure entered his room. "You can remove your cloak now."

The murderer removed his disguise apprehensively. "I... I can explain?" he squeaked out, looking uncertain.

Chase's face was unreadable, as well as his tone of voice. "Then explain."

"I..." Marshall found himself unable to speak under the scrutiny of the detective, amber eyes seeming to stare through him.

"Explain," Chase snapped. "Explain why you killed our friends. Your friends, Marshall."

The tan-skinned boy didn't want to get angry at him, but the guilt of the last few days of being unable to save his friends had caused him to snap. That, and he felt betrayed by the person he considered as his brother.

"I didn't kill anyone, Chase," Marshall said softly, his blue eyes meeting amber ones.

A few seconds passed without anyone saying anything before Chase broke the silence with a strangled sob.

"You're lying," he said, choking up in tears. "You're not the Marshall I knew. Not anymore."

"I'm telling the truth, Chase," the white-skinned boy pleaded. "I didn't kill anyone. Not Rubble, and definitely not Skye-"

"DON'T SAY HER NAME!"

Marshall flinched back in shock as Chase bellowed at him.

"She shouldn't have died, Marshall," Chase sobbed. "I want to believe you, but if you really didn't kill her, she should be alive. Our friends should be alive."

"Chase, I swear on my honor as a Paw Patrol member that I did not kill anyone," Marshall's voice shook with desperation. "Please, Chase. I never lied to you."

"I don't know what to believe anymore, Marshall," Chase whispered. "There's one impostor among us, and it's most likely you. Did you cause Ryder's death too?"

"Case," Marshall gasped, tearing up. "I... I did not..."

"Marshall, you were the last one with Ryder before he ran away to kill himself."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ooh, revelation. Story in the next chapter (which would probably not going to be posted for some time because I have school now).