12 | Wheeled Out

Day Four Part 2

The room was quiet, contrary to the shouting day before. Everyone looked at each other, as if daring them to speak up.

The silence stretched on for a few minutes before Rex spoke up.

"I'll do it," he said quietly.

Nearly every head turned in his direction, but he didn't meet any of their gazes.

"What do you mean?" Chase asked him.

Rex lifted his head and everyone could see that  his red-rimmed eyes were filled with tears.

"I'll do it," he said louder, his voice quivering slightly. "I volunteer to be voted out."

"Rex, you don't have to-"

"I do," the disabled teenager cut him off. "Because the good side has to win."

"Do you mean-"

"Yes," Rex had cut him off once more. "I'm sorry I prevented you from getting clues last night, Chase."

Chase looked confused for a bit before realization dawned on him. "You were the witch," he breathed out.

Rex nodded and his eyes found Everest who looked like she was controlling her temper.

"You blocked me off the other night," Everest whispered.

"I'm sorry," Rex sobbed, putting his hands on his face. "But I had to. I don't want to die."

"Rex, I-"

"But I don't want you to die either!" he wailed, ignoring Everest’s attempt to speak. "Tracker was right. You have to win, even if it costs me my life."

Rex was reduced to a sobbing mess but no one moved. No one wanted to move.

"Tut tut. Time is up, Paw Patrol," the speakers sounded, blaring to life. "Who shall be voted out today?"

"Vote me, please," Rex whispered, trying to wipe his tears away.

"I… I can't," Everest said, looking away. "You were only doing what you have to do. I abstain."

"I… I vote for Rex," Chase said quietly.

Rocky had abstained as well, but both Tuck and Ella voted for Rex. Marshall didn't say anything. 

"How… noble," the mastermind said quietly. 

A soft beep sounded from somewhere in the house.

"You have five minutes," the voice said before the speakers went off once again.

If anyone noticed the oddity of the mastermind, they didn't comment on it. Their minds were too occupied to think about it.

Chase knelt down in front of the wheelchair and looked at Rex in the eye.

"You were so brave," he whispered softly, gently grabbing his hand and squeezing it. "You didn't have to volunteer yourself, but you still did it. Thank you."

"I'm sorry for getting angry earlier, Rex," Everest said, fighting back her tears. "I didn't realize how hard it was for you."

"Tell the others hi for us, okay?" Rocky smiled wobbly, embracing his friend.

When the three of them let go, Tuck and Ella stood on either side of the wheelchair.

"Thank you, Rex-"

"For saving us-"

"We owe you one," the twins said, finishing together.

"We'll take you there," Tuck smiled at him.

"You don't have to," Rex whispered. "I can do it myself."

"But we wanted to," Ella said softly. "It's the least we could do."

The trip to the front door was peaceful, despite the fact that Rex was literally being marched to his death. Tuck and Ella left him at the front door and they waved their goodbyes.

Wehn Rex left the door, he didn't scream when a bucket of acid fell down on him. He didn't think of his fear of dying. Instead, he thought of his friends dying if he didn't do this.

He welcomed death with open arms.