15 | No Choice

Day Five Part 2

The speakers blared to life with the mastermind's voice echoing in the now silent room.

"Fortunately for you, no one died last night," he said. "However, it would be... prudent... if I showed you what happened to the remains of Rex's body."

The mastermind had somehow managed to outdo himself every day as the whole team looked at the screen with pure horror.

Rex looked like someone that came straight out of a horror movie. He was sitting in his wheelchair with his severed head resting on his lap. His skin - if that would still be called skin - was peeling off on some places and badly burnt with pus and pores that were inflated. Dried blood oozed from the remains of his neck.

His face was the creepiest of them all. His eyes were gone, having been carved out like pumpkin on halloween. Blood was dripping slowly from the holes in his eyes, and his mouth was ripped and carved upwards at the corners, forming a sinister, hollow smile that was reminiscent of Jeff the Killer.

"So," the mastermind's voice took everyone out from their reactions. "You have fifteen minutes to choose."

The TV flickered out, and everyone looked at each other expectantly.

Ella was the first one to speak. "The murderer was wearing glasses," she said quietly from her seat.

Chase quickly did the math in his head. Everest was out of the question as she's clearly the one who healed the twins from the murder attempt. He quickly decided against Marshall, which left him with Rocky.

It all made sense to him. Rocky was smart, his intelligence almost rivaling that of Ryder's. Having been working with advanced things in his training, cleaning up evidence would be a piece of cake to him.

"Rocky, how could you," Chase whispered in betrayal. "I thought you're our friend."

"What are you talking about?" Rocky asked, internally panicking.

"You're the murderer," the young detective said bluntly.

Both Marshall and Rocky stiffened a bit and they avoided looking at each other.

"I assure you, Chase. I am not the murderer. I have never killed anyone," Rocky tried to reason.

"That's what they all say," Chase growled. "Besides, it's either you or Marshall and Marshall is definitely out of the question."

Everest nodded in agreement from beside Chase, and Rocky looked at them both in disbelief.

"I guess that's two votes for Rocky," the mastermind said. "How about the others?"

"Chase," Rocky blurted out desperately.

Tuck and Ella both abstained after a moment of thinking, which left Marshall to vote last.

"I... " AM THE MURDERER! "...abstain."

"Marshall," Rocky whispered, tears forming in his eyes. "I thought..."

"I'm sorry, Rocky," Marshall said quietly, to which only the gray-haired boy beside him can hear. "I just couldn't do it."

"You know what to do, Rocky."

"Just promise me you'll survive this thing," Rocky told Marshall as he made his way out of the living room.

"I promise."

Rocky was scared, but he steeled himself. He would not die afraid.

He walked out of the front door with his head held up high, watching as an anvil made its way down on him.

He was dead before he even hit the ground.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Time passes by...

Flick, flick...

Something is... happening...

It's gone silent.

Flick, flick...

5 survivors remain