5 | Assassinated

Day Two Part 2

"I don't want to vote anyone off," Rubble whispered, breaking the silence. "I don't want anyone else to die."

"But we have to," Rocky said, pain clear in his voice. "Because no matter what we do, someone will have to go."

"At this rate, I don't think dying matters anymore," Marshall sighed from where he was comforting Chase. "Because even if we survive this, the mental and emotional scars of seeing the dead bodies of our friends will stay with us."

"I'll do it."

Everyone looked at Tracker who had just spoken out of the blue.

"What?!" Rex exclaimed. "No, Tracker, you can't just sacrifice yourself!"

"What if I told you that I don't want to be on the evil team?" Tracker snapped. "I was the assassin, and I don't exactly want to kill anyone."

"None of us do, Tracker," Marshall whispered as Chase's sobs subsided a bit.

Tracker smiled knowingly like he knew something the others didn't. "Find the murderer quickly. It's the only way to end this with the least casualties."

"How... touching."

All heads snapped in attention when the speakers went on.

"Tracker..." the voice growled. "You know the rules."

"Fuck the rules," Tracker growled back. "I have nothing else to lose. Ryder's dead. Carlos is dead. And the rest of my friends- no, family, is stuck playing this bullshit."

"So do what you want to do because I would rather sacrifice myself than killing them," he finished with a glare.

There was a moment of silence before a soft ping sounded from somewhere in the house.

"I'll give you five minutes to say goodbye. After that, head out to the front door. Your fate awaits you there," the voice said. "Anyone who follows you will share the same fate."

All of them knew by the tone of his voice that Tracker wasn't meant to have the said opportunity. However, none of them commented on it, glad for the chance to say goodbye to their friend.

Rex was the first one to speak. "Why?" he whispered, tears springing in his brown eyes.

Tracker smiled sadly. "What I said was the truth. While I know that most of you would not survive this, I don't want to take part in it."

The wheelchair-bound boy tried to launch himself at Tracker but ended up falling on the floor due to his paralyzed legs. Tracker went to pick him up.

"Listen to me, Rex," he said, stroking the younger boy's hair. "I want you to survive this. But if you don't, then I'll see you on the other side, okay?"

Rex didn't say anything. He just cried on Tracker's shoulder, relishing the last hug that he'll get from the older boy.

Tracker locked eyes with the murderer, brown eyes meeting blue.

I'm sorry, the murderer's eyes seemed to say.

Tracker just smiled painfully. Good luck.

The five-minute alarm sounded and Tracker knew he had to go. Rex wailed when Marshall picked him up, desperately wanting to come with the jungle boy.

"Take care of Rex for me," Tracker said before he went out, closing the door behind him.

The scream that went after was only short, but it was the worst sound any of them had ever heard.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Time passes by...

Flick, flick...

Something is... happening...

It's gone silent.

Flick, flick...

9 survivors remain