Epilogue

Dang, I can't believe this is already the epilogue. I've been writing this book for a little over six months, and now it's ending. Only three chapters remain: one is going to be the notes that I jotted down while planning for the story, another would be the final Q&A, and the last one would be my final author's note.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Five years later

Chase sighed as he donned his uniform. He wasn't really in the mood to go to work, not after what that day means to him.

That day was the third anniversary of the massacre house incident (as Ella put it), and if he was being honest, he hasn't fully healed from it yet, nor were Everest, Tuck, and Ella.

The tan-skinned firefighter went out of his bedroom and into the living room where he saw his girlfriend sitting on the couch, looking blankly at the distance. They had bonded over the pain of the death of their loved ones, and one thing led to another. Chase had thought of proposing to her, but now is not the time for it.

"Why do we have to go to work again?" Everest asked, looking at him with tear-filled eyes that she wiped with the sleeve of her paramedic uniform.

"It's only for less than an hour, Ev. We just have to get out clearance then we can go home and grieve for our friends," Chase said softly before sitting down beside her and hugging her close.

The two stayed that way for around five minutes before Chase's phone rang.

"Hey Chase, we've got the clear to take a day off from work," Tuck said. "We'll take care of Amber for you while the two of you get yours."

"Thanks, Tuck," Chase said gratefully. "We'll make it quick so we have time to take Amber to the Lookout."

"Alright then, we'll be there in five minutes then you can go. Tuck out."

Chase couldn't help but crack a smile. That used to be his catchphrase at the end of every call, but he stopped using it after the massacre house incident.

"Uncle Chase! Auntie Ev!" eight-year-old Amber screamed from the top of the stairs. "Are we gonna go see the tower now?!"

"Not yet dear!" Everest called back to Marshall's sister, who insisted on calling them aunt and uncle despite being around the same age as her brother. "We'll be going this afternoon!"

"Okay! Are Uncle Tuck and Auntie Ella here now?!"

"We are now!" Ella said, smiling when the little black-haired girl bounded down the stairs and crashed into her like a missile.

Tuck chuckled from behind them. "We missed you too, little girl," he said, ruffling the kid's hair.

"We best be going," Everest said, linking her arm with her boyfriend's. "See you all later."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The drive to Adventure Bay was silent. Even Amber, who was usually talkative, was quiet as if she could sense the mood of the four adults.

They finally arrived in the abandoned Lookout Tower, which still stood tall and proud despite being unkempt and uninhabited for a long time.

On the side of the tower, there were eight graves, one for each of their friends, including Ryder. It was hard to get their body out of that cursed house and cremate them, but the four of them pushed through it because they deserve a proper funeral.

Chase saw Everest staring at the tower, deep in thought He squeezed her hand, making her look at him.

"What's wrong, Ev?" Chase said in a low voice.

"I just thought, would Marshall and Skye approve of us?" Everest said in the same tone. "I feel like we're betraying their memory by being together."

"I don't think so," Chase replied. "I think they would be happy that we found each other, especially in this dark time."

Everest didn't reply for a while. "I miss them."

"Me too, Ev. Me too."

The four of them stood at the remains of their old home with an orphaned girl as they relished in the memory of their old friends.

The End