23. Gloom

It was raining hard that day. The cold seemed to have seeped in her bones. Her breathes were uneven as her eyes gazed at the woman laying on the death bed, her face bare of any expression but by god Afreen could sense the peace she must have felt as she took her last breath.

The peace that was destroyed the day her husband was killed, the peace that must have shattered when the cries of her child had gone mixed with the ugly sounds those men made when they took her dignity piece by piece, leaving her bare.

Hafsa Azhar was at peace while her child of 6 years was sobbing in the woman's arms who herself was looking paralysed.

" Ammi uthe na, khala dekhein ammi nahi uth rahi. Ammi Abaan, me Abaan uthein. "

The little man cried holding his mother's hand which was cold and lifeless like her. His gaze has flickered to her, who was numb. He wailed loudly flunging himself in her arms, who instantly wrapped hers around him.

" Affi khala ammi nahi uth rahi. ", the boy sobbed in the crook of her neck, his tears soaking her neckline. She could feel his pain, she could understand what was he feeling.

So she just hugged him, trying bring and give all the comfort she could to the child in her arms.

" Vo aur mujhe Abaan ki zimmedari dekar gayi hain. Usse sambhalne ki kehkar gyai hain. "

Hafsa spoke for the first time that day. 

Afreen stiffly nodded before moving forward and with her arms around Abaan. She held her lifeless frail hand. 

" Inna lillahi wa inallah-e-raji'oon. "

She murmured, making the young man standing beside her mutter the same. His words broken and stuttered.

The door behind them open with a soft click, as Arsalan and Aziya came in with _bhai and Hassan with them. 

She moved back, holding the little guy and leaned against the wall, ger hands rubbing his back. 

" Afreen, go with Hassan and call the Funeral services. ", She heard her brother before looking down at Abaan who tightened his arms around her. 

" But bhai-- "

" Please. And take Abaan with you too. "

She just nodded and looked at Hassan who bent down beside her tapping Abaan's back. 

The boy turned and looked at his mother's dead form and then to Afreen, who nodded at him. He released her leg and wounded his arms around Hassan's neck, who looked a little awkward before a soft smile graced his lips. He nodded at the lady who was looking at them with a soft look. 

She gave a final glance at Hafsa and walked out of the room, rubbing the moisture off her eyes and cheeks. 

Hassan, who was sluggishly walking down the hallway stopped as Afreen tapped his back. 

" Are you okay? ", she asked, her damp eyes looked at him  in concern. She has seen him looking at the woman in horror, his face ashen. The memories taking control over his mind, and eyes losing their shine.

Why?

" I should be the one asking you that. ", he gazed at her, who just looked at in his eyes, knowing the man was avoiding her question. In these few years they all have connected so much that, they understood each other, even when the other has closed off. 

" Things will take time, by then I would be okay. "

She replied caressing the back of Abaan's head who had slept after his quiet whimpers. The guy lost his parents at such a young age, an age at which he should be laughing and enjoying with them, having his best moments of life.