3. numb

Darkness has already descended upon the place , the room has grown dark , the only source of light was the moon shining in the sky . It looks calm , contrasting to the storm brewing inside of her.

A few seconds ago adhan for isha prayer went off . She went to the bath to perform her wudu and came out . Since there was no prayer mat she made the place clean and as she do not have knowledge of the Qiblah, she performed taharrī and offered her prayers to allah and the flow of tears started as she recieted dua . after she offered her prayer she went to her previous position near the window looking as the calm moon .

A knock on the wooden door drew her gaze from the moon to the figure standing on the doorstep . The figure of a woman came in sight when the woman switched on the the lights , making her blink at the sudden light . "Sahab said to eat this food and change into your clothes and my name is Zaida" , the lady said without looking at her . She must be the servant , Afreen thought . On hearing the words food and clothes , she noticed a steel plate and a bag hanging off her arm . Placing the food and bag on the bed , zaida left .

Afreen was starving , as she got no food before her nikah and the day before that she wasn't hungry . She was with the kids , spending time with them knowing she would not get any after the nikah . The kids were the only riches she had ,the only way she was surviving the cruel and suffocating environment of yateemkhana . Her school was over day before her nikah , she passed with a good result .

Closing the window silently , she walked over to the bed , took the bag and took out a blue salwar kameez and went in bathroom to change herself .Coming out she went to bed and sat down , taking off the lid she saw the plate full of daal chawal and chapattis . Eating slowly , she tried to savour the taste of the food , thinking whether she would get it , the next day or not . She was trying to feel something , something to take away the numbness . Finishing off the food she slowly lied down on the bed , sliding the blanket over her . 

Wrapping tightly her dupatta over her head , she cried . She cried for the reason she went to yateemkhana , she cried for the torture she survived there , she cried for the kids she left there and lastly she cried for every person sold out in this world .

******

As she prayed the fajr  prayer , she remembered how just after the prayer the baby would start crying and she would put aside the the prayer mat and quran to join them in their room . The girls of her rooom would either be sleeping and some would be preparing to start the day while gossiping . Here she was not even allowed to leave the room . 

Suddenly the door open and she tightened her dupatta around her head . On the threshold stood a woman, a scowl on her face and sharpness in her voice . " Come down quickly , sahab has called " ,she spoke , and went out of the door without saying anything else . Her voice was enough to send chills down her spine , making her stand up immediately and closing the door .

Standing against the door she tried to compose herself .

jahan kbhi roshni thi,

 wahan aaj parchaiyan hai

jahan khushiyan thi, 

wahan udaasi chayi hai

____________________________

Fight for yourselves  , wisely .

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT

love,

Manya