22. Dead

Shafaq Lehri was slightly more than excited after seeing Aziya and Hassan and their mother. Why, Afreen had no Idea. She just gave her maa the puddings she and Aziya made and walked in the living room to meet her baba. 

" Aziya beta tumhari internship kesi chal rahi hai? ", Shafaq started the conversation with the girl who was nervously sitting beside her mother. (Aziya, how is your internship going?)

 It was already post noon time when they arrived at Lehri House. So, everyone was looking quite relaxed, Hassan was on some discussion with Mr Lehri, while the ladies were engaged in their chatting. Arsalan was nowhere in sight.

Afreen has just went outside to take some call. 

" Acchi chal rahi hai mumani jaan. ", Aziya spoke politely. (It going good, auntie.)

" Sadia, hum kya keh--", Shafaq was about to speak about something, when they heard a wail from the backyard. (Sadia, I was saying--)

In an instant all were on their feets, Hassan was ahead of them running to Afreen. His heart beating at a wild pace in his chest. His forehead was already covered in sweat, by the time he has reached the door, separating backyard and the house part.

He quickly slid off the glass door and came to the sight in from of him, which has shook him. He stumbled and reached for Afreen, who was sitting on the lush green grass, her hands clutching the black device, her cries getting louder and her form shaking. Without a further ado he pulled her face in his hands, making her hazel eyes look into his dark ones.

" Afreen shush, chup ho jao. Batao humein kya hua hai. ", he spoke softly wiping her tears, which were still flowing. Aziya also sat beside her rubbing her back. The two older women were standing off to side, their eyes held pain for the child bawling her eyes out, but they couldn't get themselves to move to her to stop her pain. (Afreen, quiet down. Tell us what happened.)

" Afreen idher dekho. ", Hassan patted her cheeks, moving her hair to the back. (Afreen, look here.)

She looked in his eyes, eyes which held so much pain, feeling the pain for condition she was in. Her sobs quietened a little. Holding his hands she tried to speak, her eyes red from crying and throat paining because of her loud cries. 

" Hassan, w--wo--woh chali gayi. Usne--usne use maar diya. Woh marr gayi hassan, voh marr gayi. ", she sobbed quietly placing her head on his chest. Aziya, whose hand was rubbing her back, halted. Her eyes widened at she looked at her cousin. The ladies standing gasped, while Mr Lehri called his son, who must be on his way for dinner. (Hassan, and - she - she left. He - He killed her. She died, she died, she died.)

Hassan's hand was still clasped in hers. His eyes dropped to her trembling form, that suddenly jolted up. 

" Mujhe hospital jaana hai. Hassan mujhe hospital lekar chalein. Hassan usse meri zaroorat hai. Baba-- baba bhai ko hospital bejhein, jaldi. ", she cupped his face and stood up, making Hassan stand up too. She looked at her baba who nodded his head and informed Arsalan to reach the hospital. (I want to go to the hospital. Hassan take me to the hospital. She needs me. Baba--baba send bhai to the hospital, fast.)

She looked at Hassan, her eyes lost. The man came back to his senses and both of them ran to the car. Within seconds they have settled themselves in the car, while Hassan drove as fast he could without getting the car pull over. 

" Afreen sambhalo khud ko. ", he spoke seeing her hiccuping like that. He did not know why he was suffering so much by see her crying. This was the first time. The tears of someone else are making his mind restless. Well it was not someone. She was his cousin, he must be sympathizing. But what he was feeling was more than any sympathy. And he wasn't ready to acknowledge that feeling, not at this moment at least. (Afreen, calm yourself down.)

Afreen looked at his, his molten dark eyes and nodded. She sucked in a deep breath and took out a tissue from the dashboard. Wiping off her face, she took the water bottle he passed her and took generous gulps of it. 

Soon the hospital came in and they both got off. They had parked straight in the parking lot. With haste steps, they moved in and went to reception. 

" Hafsa Azhar. She was just admitted here a few minutes ago. ", Afreen spoke, her blood shot eyes on the receptionist sitting there.

" Mam, the Hafsa Azhar that has been admitted a while ago is no more. I am sorry. But you can go and on the second floor, her family is there outside the room 101 A. ", the blue eyes reflecting pity. And she hated pity. 

Afreen staggered back, her head colliding with Hassan's shoulder, who gently steered them towards the elevator. Luckily the elevator was already down. Hassan clicked the 2 floor button, his arm lightly wrapped around her shoulder, to support her. Within 10 second they were up and moving to the room, outside of which a male was sitting, his head in his hands and shoulders shaking with quiet sobs. 

Afreen gaze went to the man clad in shaggy t-shirt and sweatpants. His hand bandaged in white gauge. 

" Bhai. ", a whisper made him stand-up. 

He looked at the lady, who was like a sister to him, standing like a corpse. Her face ashen. 

" Afreen baji. "

He looked at man standing beside her and nodded.

She looked at the room 101A and slowly clutched the the door knob. She looked back at Hassan, who gave her an encouraging smile.

" Main yahin hun. ", he spoke softly. She nodded and twisted the knob and entered inside, while Hassan sat beside the man and patted his back. Soon Arsalan was running towards them, with Aziya behind him. (I am here.)

...

Vote .Comment.Share .Follow

love,

Manya