20.Sunday

.Five years later.

Untangling herself from the warmth of sun, she closed the window temporarily shutting herself from the world full of despondence and cruelty. Sunday mornings gave her time to introspect which she was not able to do on working days. 

Living away from the family was difficult but the decision was a much needed one. Though the nightmares were constant, the internal pain was too much but the power in her prayers were much too, the pain has lessen in these years, though the restlessness was still there. Why it never went away she has no idea.

The whole apartment was silent, just the beautiful melody of their Asian koel was surrounding the place. Living with three girls the place never felt empty. But what about the heart, that has always yearned for a happy and stable life.

Silently moving to the kitchen she took out three glass cups and poured milk in the pan to warm. As the milk warmed she opened the kitchen windows, letting the fresh air in. The weather was very pleasent.

Pouring the milk in the cups , she took out the pan and set the water in it to boil and put the concoction of crushed ginger, black tea leaves and sugar in it. The distinct aroma of ginger was soothing and refreshing, pouring back the milk in the pan she let them mix and rich brown colour formed. Filtering the chai in the cups, she took the tray to her friends room. Seeing both of them sprawled on their beds and their blankets on the floor, a soft smile formed on her lips. 

Placing the tray on the nearby stool, she slid off the drapes to let the sunlight in. As the sunlight peaked through, the girls started to stir and looked at her with hazy eyes and their own bird nest of hair.

" Wake up girls. "

" Afee, its sunday!! ", Sarah's muffled voice reached her.

" Yes, I know and we have to get ready to go to my family house, so get up!! ", Afreen said in a sing song voice.

The two girls walked to the two bathrooms to their morning business.

Seeing both of them has shut the window of lonliness, well temporarily. It was not that she never had friend in the her 24 years of life, infact there were many, but none was constant. As she sat and gossiped over Adrak ki chai, she realised how they all stood together throughout these years. They were aware of what had happened 5 years ago, they have supported her throughout all her decisions. 

" When is Aziya coming back? She is missing our routine. ", Sophie asked, tying her dirty blonde hair in loose bun.

" She will be back in two days. ", Afreen said picking out her clothes.

 ", Afreen said picking out her clothes

Sophie and Sarah had been dormmates since their freshman year, and Afreen was their classmate, but Aziya and Afreen had met through a workshop by their college and later in that year they came to know that they were first cousins. They had their whole crying session for straight two hours, blabbling to each other. Sophie and Sarah too bonded with Aziya and all four of them were together since then.

Aziya was already living with a dormmate but they were never friends, well not enemies either, so they decided to change the room mates for the next year. Afreen wanted to live with Aziya in the dorm but later made up their mind to live in seperate apartment. The families also agreed as there would be four of them.

Sundays were family days too. And now when they are doing their internships their sundays were busy. But today there was no work and girls had already promised to be there at Afreen's Place. They quickly got changed and left to the meet the family. 

" Hello Aunty!! ", Sophie and Sarah greeted Shafaq, side hugs, while Ahad patted their head.

" As-salamu alaykum ", her soft voice reached her parents, who said their salams and eagerly hugged her. Her Maa and Abba

" Aziya nahi aayi? ", Shafaq asked looking behind her, towards the door. ( Aziya didn't come?)

" Maa she has gone to visit phupho. ", Afreen said holding her Maa's slightly wrinkled hand. 

She has felt the tension between Aziya and her Arsalan, she has tried one time to know what the deal was but left the topic when Aziya was not ready to discuss anything. She felt a bit awkward to talk about it to Arsalan.

Arsalan heard the voice of his sister and came down to meet her and her friends. Exchanging their greeting they sat and shared how they have been, but she could feel her brother was not there with them, he was lost somewhere.

Or lost on thoughts of someone.

___________

Maya Ali as Afreen Abdullah

Vote .Comment .share .Follow .

Love,

Manya