15.Family

Arsalan was sitting there clutching his head, his mother's answer was vague, she was coming here but then what. What if his thoughts were true, what if Afreen was his cousin who was claimed dead that day, she could be, as they never found her body. 

The thoughts were enough to give him a headache, and the thoughts of her being almost raped and sold were nauseating. He would have never thought that only one case would have his life upside down, he would meet people who he had lost a long time ago. And here he is waiting for his parents to arrive and see if this Afreen Abdullah is the same Afreen Abdullah he had lost years ago in that car accident ,that took away his choti ammi and chote abbu ( aunty and uncle) .

Afreen was sitting there in front of him oblivious to the man's inner turmoil ,her head has started to grasp the fact of what could have happened that night. She could have been the girl who had lost her dignity to a man who was going to sell her the next day for others to salvage upon .

She could have been the next Hafsa, the woman who has lost her husband at such a crucial time and has suffered the torment on her body by the men who never felt any sympathy. Losing her parents at such a young age and never got to see them for the last time had crushed her and facing the torture in yateemkhana ( Orphanage /shelter home) was even worse for her. But now after all the things she went through, she was searching for a new light, if there was any ,she was hoping for a better life ,her belief in her creator was still there .

"Shukar hai tera ya khuda mere" ,the words had Arsalan and Afreen's head shot up towards the new person in the room. (Thank you, my God )

Shafaq Lehri's voice held strength but her eyes gave away the emotions .His mother's words were not needed to confirm his suspicions, the relief and happiness in her eyes did the work. Afreen Abdullah is his sister, his cousin, he was not wrong =. He was happy, his family was looking elated by the news but Afreen confused face was enough to make him realise that the girl has no idea that her family was here .It will be difficult to explain everything to her .

..........

Shafaq was ready to launch herself at her niece to pepper her with with hugs and kisses but Arsalan's stern expressions had her seated back on the sofa. Every was seated in the living room of Salah Khan's house. Mr and Mrs Lehri at the loveseat ,their face full of emotions, Afreen sitting frigid, looking bewildered with a curious Salah Khan beside her. Arsalan was a different case, he was rubbing his face, trying to come up with a explanation .

"Afreen, uncle Khan, I know you are not able to understand what is happening here, why my parents are here but I'll try and explain everything alright ,and the rest will be explained by them ", Arsalan said looking at Afreen and Salah khan, recieving a nod from both of them .

" 6 years back I lost my chote Abbu and choti Ammi in a accident ,who were coming back after a small trip with their 12 year old daughter. Their car had been shot and it had fallen down the bridge, they died on the spot but their daughter was nowhere to be found, abbu and Ammi tried to look for her ,but After two weeks the police declared her dead . We have gone through a shock that time ,we lost the three important people of the famil, Ammi lost her younger sister and Abbu lost his brother, and I lost my younger sister, my cousin. Atleast we got to see them last time but my cousin's death was not easy to take in . " he paused ,letting Afreen absorb the things. 

"It was painful, we were not ready to accept it, and the thing that her body was never found, had left us with hope, which was distinguishing slowly, through these years. But today, looking at you, I felt I was looking in those familiar hazel eyes which would get moist when I used to refuse to treat you with ice cream when you used to win board games . And to confirm my thoughts I asked Ammi and Abbu to come here. Afreen you are my sister and I am sorry I was not able to find you earlier". He said, his voice breaking at the end.

As Arsalan told everything, Afreen was quietly sobbing, she regretted ever thinking that no one came looking for, the ones sitting in front of her looking at her with pained expressions, is her family. The man sitting across her is the brother, she thought she would never see . 

Salah khan had a look of understanding on his face. Now he knew why he was desperately asking about her. He was confirming his thoughts about his long lost sister.

______________

Vote .Comment .Share .Follow 

Love,

Manya.