18.Drowning

The hustle and bustle in the courtroom matched the one in her heart. Her eyes fluttered around the room as she took a seat at back. The two men were discussing something regarding the case, and the woman sitting beside her placed a comforting arm around her shoulders.

As the people seated themselves on the wooden seat, the presence of judge was announced as everyone stood in unison. With a affirmative nod, the case proceeded and one by one the witness stood in the respective box to give their statement. She witnessed how some people lied through their teeth, even after taking the pledge of honesty.

She sat on the edge of her seat,not even looking in the direction of Fariq, who was menacingly staring at her, taking her back to the moments, when she was at his mercy, when he would use belts, sticks and whatever he could find on her body, beating her senseless. The same man was standing there, in the room, at the mercy of the her brother and uncle who were giving all the evidences to the court against him and his partners.

She stood up, her body stoic as she moved towards the box, her hand placed on the Quran as she pledge to speak with utmost honesty. She relayed the whole incident, without leaving any details. She felt like drowning as she narrated the happening, it felt as if someone was pulling her down, not letting her go to the surface of the vast pool. Yet not a single tear escaped the bloodshot eyes, who were telling a tale of misery.

The whole time Fariq looked at her without a spec of remorse or guilt in his eyes. Hafsa and Zaida, who already gave their statements, were sitting there looking at the girl with empathy. Their eyes shedding tears of pain, they felt for her. The girl who was never at the receiving end of cruelty in her childhood, faced the utter cruelty in that doomed havelli.

They were called for the next hearing on the coming monday as the case was not only the part of their country but also the affair of many other countries. The headlines in international newspapers and channels were enough proof.

.....

She sat in her bathtub, the water cold against her hot skin, the memories flashing behind her closed lids and she slowly gave in, the water pooling around her, the black marbles contrasting her pale skin.

" Afreen darling please open the door. ", the continuous knocking and shouting lifted the haze around her.

Her eyes taking in her surroundings and her wrinkled skin, body numb to the cold.

Her body hasn't drown, but her heart did as she remembered what was happening. She was giving in to those memories, she was on the verge of committing suicide, a sin she would have never forgive herself for.

With trembling hands she propped herself up, and slowly slid in her nightsuit and unlocked the door.

" Khala, I am sorry, please forgive me, I would never do it again, I am sorry ",she sobbed clutching shafaq's arms, who was crying silently, looking at her niece.

She understood what was happening and the thought was enough to make her shout for Arsalan and Ahad who came rushing through the door and clutched Afreen to take her to the bed.

Arsalan sat beside her massaging her forehead, as he tried to forget the way the opposition was trying to stain the dignity of his sister. The curtain if someone's blue eyes fell before his half closed eyes. Someone who suffered something similar.

" Bhai, those memories were coming back, I do not know when I slept in the bathtub, I did not want to commit suicide but I was feeling like I am drowning and then I don't know when I gave in. Forgive me, please ", Afreen whispered, her voice successfully waking Arsalan from the memories of someone.

" Afreen, If you are having any problem, something is bothering you, something is intimidating or is harming you at any point, you will first come and tell your brother and write it somewhere if I am not there, but, do not let that problem hurt you, promise me ? ", he tightened his hold on her hand that was clutching his .

" I promise you bhai, I'll not harm myself and will never let anyone hurt me, anymore ", she spoke in an affirmative tone, feeling proud that her voice didn't shook like before.

Arsalan nodded and covered her with the blanket, not wanting her to catch cold, since she has been in cold water for a long time.

Moving towards the couch he sat there, his head whirling with several thoughts.

Afreen slept that night after asking for patience and forgiveness from her Almighty.

___________

Vote .Comment .share .Follow .

Love,

Manya