Chapter Fifty-Nine

It's been two whole weeks and we still didn't have a Goddamn clue where Harry and the others were. My father and I wandered around Britain aimlessly, two fugitives just trying to avoid snatchers and the occasional aggressive woodland creature.

My father definitely wasn't built for this lifestyle on the run, he grew up privileged and still into adulthood it was a rare occasion to see him without a designer suit on. I caught him on more than one occasion subconsciously reach for the label on his lapel, only to find it missing. He would try and touch cuff links that weren't there, he was frustrated and angry that he couldn't sleep in his bed.

I didn't mind as much, I loved listening to the sounds of nature at night, it kind or reminded me of Hogwarts. The silence in the night also made it easy to know when snatchers were around. I heard a clanging from inside the tent we had set up before hearing my dad's quiet, semi-restrained sob pass his lips.

I sighed before turning back towards the crackling fire, twiddling my wand that never got used between my fingertips. These days I used it as more of an eating utensil than anything else. My father suddenly slipped out of the tent and sat on the log across from me. He tried to wipe away his tears but I saw them all the same. I always did.

"It's Christmas Eve. Your Mom always loved Christmas." He mumbled, tossing some more wood into the fire.

"I know," I answered. "We'd be watching It's a Wonderful Life right about now while she made her famous hot cocoa."

"You know what made it famous, don't you?" He chuckled.

I smiled remembering my mother hiding her secret ingredient from us kids, but we always knew.

" Honey." I answered. "Mom was always terrible about hiding things."

"That's why she never knew where I hid the Christmas presents." He sighed, "God I miss her so much." My Dad started to tear up again, prompting me to walk around the fire and sit beside him, throwing my arms around him. He was quick to pull me into his side and kissing the top of my head.

"I miss her too." I whispered, embracing the warmth from my fathers side. "I miss all of them."

"I haven't seen the twins or your brother in a year. But I know they're strong."

"They're all probably at the Weasley's. I don't even know if Damian finished his last year at Hogwarts or not." I mumbled, placing my hands out to warm them against the small fire.

"I don't think it matters much anymore these days." He said.

An idea suddenly popped into my head, though I had no idea if my father would agree or not. "I think I know something that might cheer us up. I know theres a pub down in the village, maybe a nice warm meal will lift our spirits?" I suggested, hearing my father tense up against me.

"It's risky. But I am tired of eating rabbit."

We had been living off the random small animals that scurried across our paths. occasionally nibbling on plants. The hunger in my stomach hadn't been satisfied in so long, it was hard to forget about.

"We keep our hoods up, at the sign of any snatchers we get the hell out of there." He nodded his head in agreement.

After a quick pack up of our belongings, we were on our way.

~

For Christmas Eve, the pub was rather crowded. Large burly men surrounded the bar, shouting their drunken orders at the young flustered woman behind the counter. The dining area wasn't as busy, a couple people sipping on mugs of what I'm assuming was beer. My father and I tucked away at an empty table in the corner by the fireplace.