Chapter Sixty-Three

My first instinct had never been to run. Even with faced with astronomically insane odds stacked against me, fleeing had never been in my repertoire. It would be a lie to say everything I had faced up until this point didn't scare me, I hd been terrified more times than I cared to admit. However that line between life and death had never been as thin as it did at this moment. 

I could sense the terror in my friends that stood behind me, that dread that embedded itself into even the bravest of people when faced with the dark lord himself. My hand brushed against Hermione slightly, and I could sense a slight tremor in her hands. She knew as well as I did that everyone making out of this encounter alive was very slim. 

It took only a millisecond after the death eater summoned him, that he appeared in Malfoy manner. I thought quickly, and shoved Harry to kneel on the floor in front of me, "Kneel," I whispered to everyone else. Buying time. I needed to buy us some time. 

"Ah, Ali, My dear." He mumbled, smiling at the kneeling group of teens behind me.

"Apparently whoever was guarding the cellars were incapable of a simple task, and this group was on their way out." I motioned my hand towards Dean and Luna, trying to keep his eyes off Harry. "I'm not excited about getting summoned for something this small." 

"So many bodies. I hardly think two wandless wizards and an old man did all this," Voldemort mumbled, his eyes narrowing in the Malfoys direction. Narcissa was still staring at her dead sister with haunted eyes while Lucius looked ready to murder me for getting him wrapped up in this mess. 

"Why would Narcissa kill her own sister?" I snorted. 

Voldemort opened his mouth to argue, however his eyes landed on my arm. My sleeve had rolled up to my elbow and instead of where my normal dark mark normally sat, he could clearly see the nasty scar that lingered in its place. His eyes rose to meet mine, before taking notice of Harry kneeling at my feet. A sadistic smile overtook him and his wand was out in a flash. 

"I did grow to trust you, you were a very loyal subject of mine." He whispered, glancing down at the wand in his hand. He took slow and tentative steps in our direction. 

"No I wasn't." I answered. "Somewhere deep down you must have known that." 

I slid my wand down my leg, and into Harry's awaiting hand. 

Kill the wards I said into Draco's head. I could apperate out of the manor no question, everyone else was a different story. Draco slowly backed away into the other room before appearing a few moments later giving me a subtle nod of his head. 

"It's a shame to lose someone so powerful. But you'll be with your mother very soon." He smiled, his wand aimed in my direction. 

"Sorry Tom, that won't be happening today." I smirked, before holding my hands out and holding a protective shield in front of me and my friends. Voldemort's bright green curse continued to push against it, and yet I held strong. 

"Go!" I shouted towards Harry and the others. He stood up quickly and shook his head. 

"I already told you, I am NOT leaving without you!" He yelled over the pulsating sounds of the dark magic that surrounded the room. "That is not an option."

"Hermione, get him out of here!" I called over to her. I was starting to struggle holding onto this shield for this long against this type of magic, I was already feeling the effects of using my powers so much tonight. 

Hermione grabbed their wands off the dead snatchers at her feet, and gripped Harry by the shoulder. He shrugged her off and stepped towards me. "Ali, you don't have to do this. We can all make it out of here." 

"No we can't. The second I drop this shield, that curse hits one of us. And I would rather it be me than you." 

"Don't be a fucking martyr! Let's go!" Harry made to grab me again, with a flick of my head he went sliding back into Hermione's waiting hands. Ron had grabbed Mr.Ollivander who was looking dreadfully malnourished, and Colin who was too young to apperate. Dean had picked up a wand laying on the ground, and quickly apperated with Luna. 

Harry was still yelling my name as Hermione left with him, her somber and thankful eyes never once leaving me. 

 It was once I knew they were all gone that I felt like I could breathe. I made eye contact with Draco who looked ready to throw up, and I dropped my shield. The bright green light flew past me, almost nicking the side of my head, it shattered the mirror on the wall behind me, the glass flying around in tiny pieces. 

"You really have been a pain in the ass since the day I met you." Voldemort growled. 

"What can I say, us Solorias are notorious assholes." I shrugged. 

He sneered before sending another curse my way, my shield up in an instant. I know he could tell my shield was waning, and he smiled almost triumphantly. Sweat beaded against my forehead and rolled down my neck, I pushed hard against his curse, but just as I put everything I had into my protective shield, he was doing the same with his curse.

I was prepared to die, death didn't frighten me one bit. But I'll be damned if I die before this ugly piece of shit. 

In a surprising turn of events it was Draco, who came barreling over to me, grabbed my body and  apperated me out of there, the curse thankfully redirecting elsewhere. 

~

I fell to my knees on the pavement in front of me, feeling utterly depleted. I looked up to my blonde best friend who was looking around for danger, his wand at the ready. 

"Are you alright?" He asked, glancing my way for a moment. 

"Have you lost your mind? You can't go home now." I mumbled, sliding back to sit on my heels. 

"I don't care. I'm sick of this shit. You've saved my life more times than I can count, It's time I return the favor." He smirked, coming to sit beside me on the graveled floor. He had taken us to some alley way in a city I wasn't sure of, and so far I couldn't sense any danger. 

"We've left your parents with a mess to clean up." I sighed, leaning my head down onto his shoulder. 

"Everyones making sacrifices for the greater good in this war, I think it's time we do the same." He told me. 

Draco had never been someone who would give up something for anything. He could be selfish and self-centered, so the fact that he was willing to help in this war at the expense of his own parents spoke volumes. I hated leaving Narcissa the way we did, but we could only hope Voldemort wouldn't treat her too harshly. Lucius was as vindictive as they come, but I had no doubts he would protect his wife. 

"Where do we go now? " He asked. 

"You aren't going to like it." I mumbled. He chuckled once before raising an eyebrow, awaiting an answer.

"Romania."