Chapter 30: "So, What Did You Do Before You Came Here?"

*Angelique*

I pulled into my driveway after spending the night out with Lillian. She was actually more of a party animal than she comes off at first glance.

I took off my heels by the door drunkenly and locked my front door. I took off my clothes and tossed them into the washer, immediately going into my bathroom for a hot shower. I became squeaky clean, washing away ball of my makeup and grime of the day and freshly shaven.

I wrapped my hair and body into a towel and dried off. I then put on some soft, boy shorts styled panties and a matching sports bra, then I threw on a silky pink kimono. I slid on my furry pink slippers and began to moisturize and brush and comb out my hair. I then blow dried it, giving it it's full glossy and wavy appearance and proceeded to tweeze my eyebrows. I kept my hair down for the night.

I went downstairs to grab a glass of wine and made sure everything was secured and locked. I turned off all of the lights and went back to my room, setting my glass of wine down and laying back on my bed. I turned on my tv.

~The Next Day~

"Thank you ma'am, have a nice day." I smiled at the brunette middle aged lady as she grabbed her package of prescriptions, nodded and left. I went back to the storage area and began to stock more medicines into the large places that all the containers of pills were kept. There was a room to store portions and alphabetize them, a bathroom, an office, a break room, and a room that held large amounts of each medicine, waiting to be portioned out. Work never stopped, and if you were the one portioning that day then you had a heap of paperwork to do amidst portioning. Painfully long and excruciating work.

Luckily, that wasn't the case for me today. I just had to fill the right packages with the already portioned and assigned medicines and bring them by baskets to the front and run the front while my coworker was on lunch.

"Angel," another coworker of mine called. I peeked my head out of the door of the room I was in. "There's someone up front asking for you." I furrowed my eyebrows and made my way to the front.

"Devon! Hey." I said, surprised. He wore a tan polo shirt and khakis. His long hair was pulled into a bun and his facial hair was neat. He smiled.

"Hey. How is work going?" He asked.

"Good so far. Not too terribly bad. What are you up to?" I asked.

"I'm actually on my lunch break at the moment and I decided I would come by and see if you were working." He shrugged. "And to pick up my prescription."

"Prescription? What could you possibly need?"

"Isn't it against regulation to openly discuss someone's medical information?" He smirked.

"Well we have to confirm anyways, so," I mumbled. He laughed.

"I'm kidding." He said. I went to the computer and pulled his info up.

"Devon...Washington, hm?" I asked. He nodded. "Give me one second." I said, turning to the basket and seeing if it had been done yet. I could feel his eyes drilling into my back as I dug through the packages. I began to feel self conscious. He looked so authoritative and I was dressed in my scrubs, a messy bun and my reading glasses and working on 3 hours of sleep. "Here you go." I said, finding his package and bringing it to him.

"Thank you." He said. I nodded.

"Have a good day." I said. He lingered.

"Uh, I wanted to ask you something." He finally said.

"I'm listening." I squinted.

"Did you want me to stop by after you got off?" He said. I paused for a second.

"Sure." I said flatly. "I get off at 7. Come over at 8:30." He smiled and nodded. I smiled back as he left from the front doors of the pharmacy. I prayed to God he didn't just try and get a booty call.

~7:15pm~

"Alright you guys, I'm out." I shouted to the back as I clocked out. I grabbed my purse from the break room and walked out of the store. I got into my car and pulled away into the oddly busy traffic. It was way busier than usual for this time of day.

I let my hair out of it's bun and took my reading glasses off as I drive home. As I walked in, I kicked my shoes off by the door and set my purse on the kitchen counter. I immediately went upstairs and took a hot shower. When I got out, I put on some nice smelling lotion, combed and brushed my hair, and put it into a neat high bun.  I put on a sports bra and a spaghetti strap burgundy tank top and black pajama shorts. I slid on some footies and put on deodorant. I went into the living room and turned the television on as my cat jumped into my lap.

"How was your day? I missed you." I rubbed my cat's fur. There was a knock on the door. My cat ran off of my lap as I went to get it. 8:30 already? I thought. Surely enough, Devon waited on the other side of the door. "Well well, look who's prompt." I said and moved over to let him in.

"Being on time is very important. How are you?"

"I'm alright. I was actually thinking about cooking. Would you like some wine?" I asked.

"Sure, why not?" He said, sitting on the couch. I poured him a glass and handed it to him. I began to prepare baked BBQ chicken, rice, and enough for 2 small side salads as he watched football reruns.

"A football head I see." I called toward him in the living room.

"Of course. I've played football for as long as I can remember. I stopped after college."

"Really? What position?"

"QB and sometimes wide receiver." He shrugged. I nodded.

"What made you stop after college?"

"I didn't really wanna do it as a career honestly. I did it every season from as soon as I was old enough to get onto a team because my mom thought it'd be nice for me to get active in and stay fit. Turns out I ended up loving it but not enough for me to want to involve it in a life decision." He said.

"I could see that." As I set the pan of chicken into the oven and began preparing the side salads. "Well all that really matters in the end is what you wanna do. You're the one who has to live your life, not other people."

"True, true." He said. "So, what did you do before you came here?" He tilted his head to the side, curiously. I turned around and looked at him, a million thoughts running through my mind before I sighed.