Chapter 1: "Nice girl talk?"

1 year later

I pulled up to the house after working from 5am to 7pm. My shift had gotten changed from overnight to an entirely too long morning to evening manager shift.
I sighed as I unlocked the front door. Trenton and Donna were over tonight for dinner since they were always on campus for school.
Kalani was playing with her toys on a mat in the middle of the living room floor. Symphony and Donna sat on the living room couch talking and Trenton sat on the floor playing with Kalani.
"Hey baby. You look so tired." Symphony said, grabbing my hat, keys wallet, gloves and phone.
"Yeah, I am." I scoffed.
"Hey Dad." Trenton and Donna both said, coming to greet me with a hug. I hugged them back. Kalani stared up at me and smiled.
"Da-da!" She said, proceeding to bite her fingers. I held my hands out and she stood up and lifted her arms for me to pick her up.
"Daddy missed you. Kisses?" I said to her. She puckered her lips and pressed them against my cheek. I smiled and kissed her back and put her down.
"Dinner is ready for whenever you're hungry baby." Symphony said.
"Alright, I'm gonna go take a shower and I'll be right out." I said, going into our in-room bathroom. I took sort of a long shower then came back out in the usual t-shirt and gym shorts. Symphony was finishing up making the plates. Kalani was in her high chair with a tiny amount of what Symphony made for dinner. We all said grace and began to eat. Symphony made smothered turkey, Mac and cheese and mixed vegetables.
"This looks amazing baby." I said.
"Why thank you." She said.
"So what's new with you guys? How's college life treating you?"
"Just the usual--too much homework, plays and stuff, cool parties though." Donna said.
"And you?" Symphony asked Trenton.
"About the same, basketball is exhausting though." He shrugged. "You guys coming to the season finale game next month?"
"Of course, man." I said.
"Oh! That reminds me. I'm having a musical sometime next month around that time. The whole school will be there, but I'm wondering if my folks will be there too."
"Of course, Donna." I said. We all began to catch up while Kalani played with her food. Afterward, we all watched a movie and I put Kalani to sleep on my chest after I got her clean and ready for bed. After she fell asleep, I took her to her crib and laid her down. She was so beautiful. She looked just like a miniature version of Symphony, and she was always so happy and playful. I covered her with her blanket and turned her walkee on, taking the one by it with me. Donna and Symphony were gone and Trenton was on his phone.
"Where'd they go?" I asked, sitting the walkee on the table.
"To have girl talk I guess." He said without taking his eyes off of his screen. I smirked.
"And she is?" I asked. He clicked his screen off and looked at me. "No I wasn't lurking or anything, I just know that look."
"Just a girl." He said.
"The usual." I said.
"She's... I don't know, a friend I guess? I met her when we were at the hotel that blew up." He said.
"Oh right, that friend you were worried about." I said, remembering what had happened.
"Yeah."
"She goes to you and Donna's college?" I asked.
"Nah, our rival team actually." He said.
"That's a heap of fun." I replied sarcastically.
"Yeah. She's just a weird case sometimes."
"I know the feeling. What are grades like?"
"The same old same old." He said. I squinted. "They're fine, Dad. Like always." He chuckled.
"Alright." I smirked. We talked more about his game coming up and how different life was away from home. The girls emerged from me and Symphony's bedroom.
"Nice girl talk session?" I asked.
"It was, actually." Donna sneered sarcastically. "About extremely heavy periods and vaginal disease." She rolled her eyes.
"Eugh." Trent retched. I laughed. For the rest of the night, we spent time and they stayed the night in the extra rooms of the house.