Chapter 59

Andy fetched her; she wore a pastel pink mini dress loosely dropped. Her cleavage was exposed by two thin straps on her shoulder, and she wore high-heeled sandals with a white mini purse. Her hair loosely fell and partly covered her face when the wind blew. Andy pulled the strands gently and looked at her firmly. His heart was pounding again; he wanted to press her in his chest, and he did as he could not resist it. Alex willingly leaned her head over it as she felt safe there.

"Why not love me instead?" Andy teased, but in his heart, he meant it.  

"I love you, Andy. You're the best brother in the world. But please stop kidding me. I can't breathe now. Thinking I'll be meeting Jake after four years, oh my God!" She straightened, and Andy laughed.

They've reached the venue as Jake set the dinner to talk about the engagement with Georgia.

"Ready?" Andy said to Alex before they climbed out of the car. Alex nodded and fixed herself.

They entered the hotel which Walton owns, where Georgia stayed. First, Alex went to the washroom to see her face before meeting with Jake. She was so excited, even though she knew it would not be favorable for her.

"Hi Andy," Georgia had a cheek to cheek with him. Jake stood up and patted Andy's shoulder.

"Jake said you have your companion, your girlfriend?" Georgia roamed her eyes around.

"No, the new assistant manager in the main office. I want to introduce her to Jake as they work in the same office." Andy said calmly. They sat down and had their chats a little.

"Georgia suggested there wouldn't be an engagement party. She wanted it simple. Instead, an engagement announcement would do. What do you think?" Jake focused his eyes on him.

"Here she is, "Andy stood up and assisted Alex.

Jake was not looking at her; he thought it was a male, an older woman, or just any of the employees, and he didn't give any attention to turn his back to look.

"Meet Miss Stanner. He is Jake, and his fiancée, Georgia." Andy pulled a chair for Alex. Jake's forehead wrinkled, and he quickly sighed.

Georgia reached for her hand as Alex did; she didn't recognize her. Jake looked up and saw her face.

"Hi," Alex smiled sweetly at what Andy taught her, though her heart felt like it was on a battlefield.

Jake's face was ghastly pale, his eyes pinned on her, his hands trembled, and he gaped. The rhythm of his heart ascended by looking at her.

"You look so familiar, but I just can't remember where," Georgia said.

Jake swallowed as his throat dried up; he reached for a water glass and gulped. His hands were still trembling. He could not make a grip on a mirror.

"Are you okay, Hon?" Georgia said, a bit puzzled.

"Excuse me," Jake stood up and went to the washroom.

He went directly to the sink, leaned his hands, and lowered his head, pouring water on his face as he felt the numbness in his whole body. He leaned against the wall with hands in his pockets, then brushed his hair with his fingers. He still couldn't believe who he saw, so he poured water again on his face. He took a hanky and wiped it, then made some hand gestures to see he was not dreaming. He looked at his face and body in the mirror's reflection, then slapped his face and felt the pain as Jake realized it was real.

"What is this all about, Andy? Is this his kind of joke?" As he talked to himself, the men who entered were looking at him.

"He's insane; Andy's insane! And she acts as if nothing happened? What the hell!" Jake was already shouting.