Chapter 31

Jake went to Sandra and borrowed money from her, but she lent him only ten thousand dollars. Then, he went to Castle Pines, Georgia, to ask for financial assistance. She lent him fifty thousand dollars from her money; she couldn't withdraw more without her parents' consent, as her parents were still in France.

"I'm sorry, Jake," Georgia said, who was so concerned about him. Jake cupped her nape and kissed her.

"I've got to go now. Thank you. I'll pay you back." Jake was too desperate; he got only sixty thousand dollars.

The hospital required him to make a fifty percent down payment. Then he remembered the number Carlyle gave him that he contacted Andy.

"How are you?" Andy said, who was surprised. 

"I'm fine. I need your help." Jake said directly.

"What? What happened? Are you alright?" Andy's voice worried.

Taking a deep breath, "Yes, I'm okay. I need a sum of money for the hospital."

"Are you in the hospital?" Andy was not only worried but alarmed.

"Not me, I'll explain. Just give me the money, please!" he said. Andy could hear his deep breathing on the other line.

"How much?" Andy asked curiously.

"Three hundred fifty thousand!"

"What? Are you serious?"

"I need for the surgery of someone I owe a lot, please; there's no time anymore."

"Okay, I'll fly early tomorrow. Where?"

"At Denver Women's Hospital."

"I'll bring the money. I have it now, but I can't deposit it, for it is ten o'clock in the evening."

"Thank you, Andy. I owe you for that." Jake closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.

Jake was so relieved and happy to tell Alex. He raced his feet to reach the ICU. He found her sitting on the bench outside the room. Her knees bent, rounded by her arms, as her face leaned on it. Her hair is in ponytails, in a loose white shirt and denim. Hopes were all vanished, which showed on her face. Her eyes were dry, and no tears seemed to fall at all.

"Alex, don't worry, I got the money. Anytime Aunt Sophia could have her stability; she would undergo the procedure immediately. I arranged it in the hospital's billing section a while ago.

"Jake encircled her in his arms tightly. Alex cannot believe what he said. From what she heard, her brows drew together.

"Where did you get the money?"

"It's not important now, Alex, and the most important is to save your Mom's life."

"Jake, you don't have to go to jail. Mom could survive without you doing a robbery." She whispered.

"Me, robbery? Are you insane? By the way, it's what you get without taking your meal. Here, I brought some; go eat."

"Jake, tell me, please, what did you do?"

"Alex, please, let's eat. I'm hungry." Alex took the food and started eating, looking at him.

She felt nervous whenever the police officers appeared in front of them. Her throat refused to drain the food to her stomach, but Alex had to force herself. She needed the resistance badly. Each of them went to the washroom to fix themselves. They had to stay outside the ICU, for there was no extra bed inside allowed for the watchers.

"Jake, tell me, where did you get the money?" Jake looked around, and when he saw no nurses coming, he whispered in Alex's ear.

"I went to a robbery like this," he cupped her face and kissed her lips deeply.

"I can't help it. I missed you. I missed kissing you," then he kissed her again, and she responded.

"I want to keep you in my arms often," he caressed her face.

"Jake..." She embraced him tightly.

"You rest here on my lap and take some sleep," Jake said.

Alex followed what he said; after a few hours, she woke up and let Jake straighten on the bench and lean his head on her lap, too; then he took a nap. Alex didn't ask him again. He didn't want to talk about it, so she stopped insisting. She felt bad looking at her Mom and Jake; he shouldn't be in this situation now. The prince of Walton looks like a beggar, sleeping just in the corner, folding his knees. Alex moved away from him slowly, took his jacket from his duffle bag, and then wrapped it around him. In her selfish thoughts, she preferred him to be like that to have him so she could reach him. But in her heart, she knows it's just a fantasy, a dream, just a dream that she will wake up soon to reality.