Chapter 13

Alex's head was so occupied by the thoughts about Jake's silence in his room that she tried to twist the doorknob and then peered. She found Jake wasn't inside. She opened it more expansive to be sure, then entered. Her brows curiously drew together, wondering where Jake would go early in the morning. 

Alex's eyes roamed around; she saw some used clothes and then glanced at the bedsheets. A scene flashed with Sandra kissing in the bed. She shook her head to clear it. She again roamed her eyes and noticed the window without a curtain. Alex opened the cabinet and saw only a few shirts and pants. When she looked down, she saw some curtains rolled in there. Alex pulled them out and hung the curtains up the window, then cleaned the room. She gathered Jake's used clothes, changed the bedding, and then placed them in the laundry at the back of the house so she didn't hear a knock on the door.

 The pounding became louder, and she hurriedly checked the main door. Thinking they all had the key and didn't have to knock, except for her forgetful mom, Alex curiously opened the main door and found Arian standing outside.

"Hi! What are you doing here? You just walked up to here alone? It's a long walk for exercise." Alex was surprised.

"Let me come in and give me a glass of water, please, okay?" Arian said.

"What is that so important that you exerted effort coming here?" Alex asked curiously.

"Is my mom here?" Arian asked, which flushed both of them.

"No," Alex said.

"Yesterday, was she here?" Alex hesitated to answer as she committed to Sandra to keep it a secret from Arian that she kept quiet.

"Okay, I know it, never mind," Arian said.

"Is Jake here?" Arian added.

"He's not here either. You mean they're together this early morning?" Alex realized it.

"That's why I'm here. I think my mom is madly in love with Jake. She acted these past few days differently."

"Like what?" Alex asked in innocence.

"That's what she does if she falls in love. She's so different. And it's your fault." Arian hissed. 

"If you didn't take Jake in the house, they didn't meet. You have to do something." Arian's tone was accusing her that she had admitted it.

Alex did a significant part; it was all her idea for what was happening. She paused for a while, thinking what's Jake and Sandra doing on that early day.

"If they love each other, what's the problem then? Don't you like it? You could have a father now." Alex stated she was confused about what to say or do as she was guilty.

"Not him, not Jake. I can't imagine him so young to be my father, compared to my mother, and besides, I've got a crush on him. Didn't I say it to you?" agitatedly, pacing back and forth.

"Why have a crush on him? He's eight years older than you; you're only sixteen, and he's twenty-four." Alex said, giving her full of discouragement.

"Yeah, I know. He would see me as his little sister. But I couldn't think of him to be my father. Mom would lose her time for me again, like when she was in love with Rick, and later on, he left her, and she cried harder. I don't want to see her cry again. Though she's a somewhat dense mom when it comes to men, I pity her and love her." She said in a sad tone that Alex inhaled.

"But your mom deserves to be happy to have a husband; she's still young," Alex stated.

"She would be happy without any men and doesn't need them. She would be satisfied with me." Alex saw Arian's serious face, and she asked her directly.

"So, what's your plan now? How could I help?"

 "I don't know." Arian just shrugged.

"I have the idea. That's why I'm here now, but I'm unsure if you'll agree!" She snorted at her.

"What is it?" she asked in curiosity.

"Come to our house, and I'll tell you what, please!"

"Okay, wait here for a while. I'll change clothes," Alex replied.

She wore her loose striped shirt and denim in rubber shoes, with her favorite cap that hides her hair.

Arian scrutinized Alex, thinking with her rugged looks, she would be no help at all. Arian's hopes vanished, and she shook her head immensely. But for now, Alex would be the last hope, as staying under the same roof with Jake would be a great advantage, too—the two headed to Arian's house to start a plan to stop her mom and Jake.

"Come in," they reached the house and entered as Arian headed.

"Let's go to my room," Arian went directly ahead of her.

"What should we do here?" Alex, in a curious tone.

"You want to help or not?" Arian was in front of her closet.

"Of course I do," Alex said, observing.

"So, you help me." Arian was determined.  Alex shook her head and followed.

Arian started to pull dresses and some cosmetics from her closet. She lay the stuff on the bed and talked to Alex.

"Would you please clarify my role here?" Alex, who was still curious.

"You would be doing the act alone except for the materials that I'll be the one to provide," Arian said.

"Alex, listen, you do nothing but seduce Jake."

"What? No, I'm not into that idea. I'll go home."

Alex stood up and headed to the door. Arian ran to her quickly and hugged her, begging.

"Please, Alex, help me. You're the only hope I have." Alex forced herself to listen.

"You can easily seduce him because you live under the same roof. Who else?"

"Do you know what you are saying? Besides, I don't know how to do it, and he's not my type." Alex said, who was already annoyed by the idea.

"Okay, here's my word, if you could do it, separate the two of them, I would be your girlfriend. I know you like me, aren't you?" Arian thoughtfully stated, which made Alex think for a while.

"Really? But I have no idea how to seduce a man. What if you talk with your mom and tell her honestly what you want? Isn't it brilliant?" Alex suggested trying hard to convince her.

"I can if it doesn't concern her heart, but if so, I can do nothing about it. As I said, she's so hard-headed when it comes to men."

"What if you just let them and be happy for her?" Alex insisted.

"I'm still young, but I have my brain, unlike my mom. I'm certain Jake will leave her someday and find another younger woman. He would leave my mom behind, and I didn't want to happen. Do you understand me, huh? Now, forget me if you won't help, and never show your face again." Alex felt she meant it that she snatched her hand.

"Okay, okay, I'll do it." She realized Arian was right.

"Thank you, Alex," Arian kissed her lips and hugged her.

Alex knew Jake's stay was temporary and that he would leave soon.