Chapter 21

Alex was so worried that she unconsciously touched and caressed it with her fingers. Before she realized it, she was already in his arms. Her lips were close to his lips as his arms encircled her enough to press her body to his. Alex pushed Jake, but he held her tight as his eyes trapped hers and kissed her slowly. Alex didn't resist that she responded to the heat.  

The floor area was dry already, and Jake lay her down, supporting her head with his arm. His hands were cupping her face, kissing her. He pulled her cap away, put it aside, loosened her hair strands, spread it to his arms, and felt a woman on it.

His mouth was kissing her still, long enough that they were both affected by it. Alex's hand was holding his arm as she felt nervous. His fingers began to caress her ear as his body glided slowly. His hands slid down from her face, touching the back of her neck, slowly slipping to her shoulder.

Jake's hand slid inside her shirt. Alex inhaled and closed her eyes; then, her kiss intensified. He felt so boiling that he slightly adjusted his arm and glided out his mouth as she straightened on the floor. Her fists clenched in his hair. She kept her eyes open to the ceiling, unsure what she was doing. She felt his touch, kiss, and how his mouth and fingers played. Jake's hands glided down her shorts, and she widened her eyes.

"Are you sure we would do it here? On the floor?" Alex whispered. 

"Ahh!" Jake gained his senses and stopped abruptly.

He rolled away, straightened his body, still lying on the floor, and inhaled faster.

"What's wrong?" Alex's heart was so heavy that she had to inhale deeper as it suffocated her when he stopped. Jake rolled and reached for her shirt.

"Sorry, wear it back. I know this doesn't seem right. I should not have done this to you." Alex wore her shirt and sat down.

"What's the matter?" she asked, but Jake shook his head.

"Next time, you have to stop me again." He said.

"I will not stop you. I mean it," Alex put her palms on his chest.

"But you're clean; I can't take that from you without any assurance. And I can't promise and give you anything." Jake stated.

"I don't ask anything from you, Jake. I'm willing to give it to you without any commitment, without giving you any responsibility. I can handle myself." She cleared it.

"And what do you think of me? Too irresponsible enough without conscience? I'm human, Alex; I'm not a monster."

"I didn't say you're a monster, Jake! You're playing with me! Just one piece of advice: if you're afraid, never start a thing if you cannot finish it." Alex said, who was so disappointed.

Jake pulled her hand, but she pushed him away. She tied her hair in a ponytail, picked up the mop, and went to the laundry room at the back of their house. Jake's hands were on his head, closing his eyes for a moment, thinking it was so hard for him, controlling his emotions in the middle of that erotic moment.

"But I had to stop this urge. How long could I handle this? It's a torment in me doing that every time I see her," he thought.

Jake stood up to search for Alex and found her at the back of the house.

"Thank you for washing my clothes and putting curtains in my room." He said, but Alex didn't turn her head.

"Alex, sorry, I don't know why. I wanted to make love with you, but I can't take a risk. I never felt this fear before with women. But I can't risk your future for a life like mine now. I hope you understand." Jake said, shaking his head.

"Do you like me, Jake?" she asked straightly.

"Yes, I like you, Alex." He answered, and then he nodded.

"Do you love me?" she asked, with straight eyes to his.

"I don't know; I'm not sure what I feel right now. I don't know, Alex. I was never in love before and don't know how it feels. I'm sorry."

"Thank you for being honest. I want to ask a favor; let's forget what happened and end your hugs and kisses. Please don't touch me again until you know yourself and me. Could we be best friends? Deal?" Alex stated.

"Deal." Jake nodded as they shook hands and hugged each other.

"By the way, Jake, it's a couple of days left. Have you decided about your job?"

"I could not take my word back to Sandra. I have to try in Castle Pines with you."

"I'm sorry for that; the truth was, I agreed with Arian at first, but later I quit. I just wanted to help her because she asked me to. She loves her mom so much that she doesn't want you to hurt her, like what happened to her other relationships. That night you kissed me, I didn't intend to seduce you. I just wanted to show you the dress you'd given to show you how much I appreciated it. I also just wanted to say sorry, for I doubted you, thinking of you sleeping with Sandra the night you didn't come home. I thought you liked her that much. I wore that dress you gave me so you won't get mad at me." Alex said as Jake held her hands.

"How about your girl lover? I'm sure she wouldn't let you go that easily. I think she's sincere about the two of you." Jake was still curious about Alex's true feelings.

"No, she would mature, and she'll find herself laughing at such foolishness." She said.

Jake nodded and found Alex, sensible and surprising, the words that fit for her.