Chapter 2

Five months had passed by living independently; Jake satisfied himself, thinking his father would let him return home soon.

"Mr. Walton, we're sorry to inform you that you must pay the hotel bills within three days, or the management will force you to move out." The hotel manager said in disdain after a month of his stay without receiving any payment.

Jake wasn't sure of himself but uttered, "Okay, for the payment, I will fully settle within an hour. I'll go to the bank." Jake went to his room, took his knapsack, gathered only his must-have stuff, and then raced his feet to leave the hotel immediately. He traced the hallways, lowering his head to avoid the hotel security.

He was too desperate and went to Kyle, his school buddy. Given Jake's situation, Kyle gave him space to stay in their house and shared his room. Weeks, then a month, Kyle's mother started to notice Jake's overstaying that she confronted her son several times, but Kyle didn't mind her.

"Kyle, where is your friend?" Kyle's mom asked again after a couple of days.

"In the room, why?" Jake heard Kyle and his mom talking in the dining area. He stepped back and stayed on his feet for a moment.

"What is your friend doing here with you? Is he planning to go home or to live here? What?" Kyle's mom asked in curiosity.

"He is leaving soon, just taking time after hitting his Dad in a fit of temper. Trying to insist on his perspective to his Dad will only worsen his mood, and Jake doesn't want to reason with him. Just let him stay here for a while. The room is big enough for me alone." Kyle said.

"Doesn't his family want him back? Or trying to find a job, maybe? We can't keep him here; tell him." Jake went back to the room upon hearing it.

Kyle didn't tell Jake, but instead, he brought him breakfast. After their acquaintance, they'd been buddies since the first day of enrolment, then spent the days together.

"Thank you, Kyle, for being a true buddy. I have to leave; I've missed the house. Maybe it's time to find a job and get to face Dad," he said.

"What? And what kind of job? You know nothing, man. Knocking on someone's door intimidated by your Dad makes no sense. Drop the idea. Never mind what you've heard!" Kyle said, trying to smoothen the latter's mood.

Jake smiled and tapped his shoulder, "See you then! I owe you this one," Jake raised his fingers and saluted.

Kyle shook his head; obviously, he could do nothing about it, "Make a ring."

Knowing he had nowhere to go, Jake was still eager to leave to give comfort to his pride. As a Walton, he can't beg anybody.

Jake started to roam the whole city, curious enough to see beggars on the streets; hard-working women were trying to feed their babies at work, older people were selling stuff for just a meal, and those little children were working early. There were horrible men around snatching, grabbing the things sweated by other people, and he realized something: he was not different from them. Jake wanted to regret it but kept blaming his father for what happened instead of blaming himself. He can't accept he did a significant part of the chaos and was still blind as his mind refused to open to admit he was a fool. Or, he just wanted to blame someone because he could not accept that he was that weak, stupid, and too damn proud.

"You want some?" the little boy said, giving him a slice.

His thoughts about his father vanished, seeing a little boy eating a slice of bread before him. The boy has a heart; despite his hunger, he still could give. He pitied himself, feeling like one of them and unworthy.

Jake wanted to shout that he was a Walton and could buy the whole place if he wanted, but he could not. He hasn't even had a single centavo in his hand. And who would believe him? Jake looked at the boy and smiled, showing his refusal as he tapped the kid's head instead of saying, "Thank you," then he stood up and started to walk the street again, starving.

Jake thought he could give the little boy not just a piece but loaves of bread if he still had the money. He wasn't aware his feet took him to where he came from, that suddenly he was already at the gate of their mansion. He pushed the button, and the guard came near him.

"Open the gate, and I'll go inside." The guard recognized him and panicked, then informed the rest of the guards in the mansion.

"Sorry, Sir, your father strictly ordered us not to let you come in, and we're just following orders."

"Tell Mom I'm here," he said urgently.

"Sir, your father ordered you not to inform a family member in the mansion about your presence anytime. I hope you understand. I'm just doing my job, and I need this job as my son goes to school. I'm sorry again, Sir."

Jake inhaled and nodded desperately. He couldn't believe it; he felt like a stranger had lost his room.

"Can I ask a favor? Would you please do this secretly? Give me a piece of paper and a ball pen." The guard nodded, then he handed it to him.

"Please give this to Dorothy, my sister, and you wait for a while. She will give you something; I'll wait for you here, okay?" The guard hesitated at first, but seeing him so miserable, pale, and hungry, the guilt washed through him not to help. He was his boss; the respect was still there.

"Yes, Sir," he went to the kitchen and talked with Lolli, one of the housekeepers.

"Liana, come here. Sir Jake's outside the gate, shh!" Lolli warned Liana to keep her silence, or someone might hear them. Liana takes responsibility for Dorothy's needs and who can come near her.

"Sir Jake is outside the gate, and he wants to give this paper to Miss Dorothy," Lolli said softly. Their eyes were searching, making sure no one was around hearing them.

"Sir Jake, please go to the other side and better hide. They might see you on a CCTV." Jake followed what the guard said, though he felt it hilarious, hiding from his house and treating him like a criminal.

"Miss Dorothy," Liana knocked on Dorothy's door, holding a tray with orange juice and her favorite cake slice. She placed the paper under the cake saucer as Liana's eyes lowered to a small piece to convey the message to Dorothy. She understood her immediately, and then Liana's eyes shifted to Michael, who was at the corner of the hallway straight to Dorothy's room. Seeing him sitting and reading the newspaper, Dorothy let Liana enter the room, took that small piece of paper, and read it. Then she put it in her chest and thought for a while. She took something from her locker, put it in an envelope, and then gave it to Liana.

Liana inserted it into her pocket, covered by her apron, and padded downstairs. She gave the envelope Dorothy gave to Lolli; then, Lolli handed it to the guard.

The guard gave the envelope to the other guard off duty, went out of the gate, and handed it to Jake, who was distant from the CCTV.

"What is your name?" Jake asked the guard, the one who handed the envelope.

"I'm Carlyle, Sir."

"Who gave this to you?" Jake asked again.

"Ferrer, Sir, "Jake stared and recognized him a little.

"How many years have you been in the mansion?" Jake asked as they walked along the road to the exit.

"Ten years ago, as I remembered, Dad's three personal guards traveled with us to Denver. Were you one of them?" Jake inquired.

"Yes, Sir, to your Aunt. Ma'am Stella's sister."

"Can you still remember the exact address?" Jake asked. The guard paused for a while as he was thinking.

"I believe it was Va... Valentin, no, it's Valentia St., Denver." The guard faltered but remembered well.

"Thank you," Jake said as they two shook hands.

"Have a safe trip, Sir." Jake nodded, patted him on his shoulder, and then raced to the airport.