Chapter 14

Alex stiffened and tried to absorb Arian's kiss so that she felt nothing. They kissed before out of curiosity and somehow enjoyed it. Now, Alex felt Arian was just a sister and didn't like the kiss anymore. She never knew why the feeling vanished and thought she was a woman. All she longed for was Jake's kiss, touch, and how he squeezed her waist and pulled her to him. 

Alex thought the way he kissed Sandra that evening in front of them was like how he looked at her when he attempted to remove her cap that night, that the pounding in her chest ascended.

"Fit this dress; then I'll teach you how to apply makeup, okay?" Arian readied everything.

"I don't like painting my face; I feel like a clown." Alex pushed Arian's hand away.

"Sorry, you have no choice. You've given me your word, so you comply. Now, you pull up your shirt and pull down your pants," Arian said in a dominating tone.

"Please turn your back," Alex said.

"No, anyway, I'll be your girlfriend soon. Don't be ashamed." Alex felt awkward changing clothes in front of her.

She wore first the off-white knee-cut dress, then a light pink miniskirt dress, and a sleeveless blouse with her cap.

"Perfect! Except with your hair, Alex, you have to free it. It's significant as you can't wear that dress with that cap of yours. It doesn't harmonize everything."

Alex was amazed by herself looking at the mirror. She likes to wear dresses if only she can afford them.

"Wow! You're beautiful, Alex; it fits you. I could not wait to be your girlfriend officially." Alex just rolled her eyes above.

She pulled up her cap, let her hair drop down, and then turned around several times.

"What beautiful hair," Arian traced the strands down to her elbows.

The light brown hair made her look seductive and showed her natural beauty, which the hair waves due to prolonged rolling and clipping. She occasionally exposed her soft white skin to sunlight. She straightened her back when she remembered Jake telling her that Arian was fascinated by her.

"Let's apply makeup on your face. Your eyes fit with mascara; I wish I had long lashes like yours. Don't wear that shirt and cap anymore; keep those for the meantime. I'll give those dresses to you, skirts and shorts. I have many of those, but I promise you'll do your best. Can I count on you?"

"I'll try my best, Arian, but I can't promise."

"Good luck," Arian said.

Alex wiped her mouth and face with tissue paper. Then she wore her denim, shirt, and cap again.

"So, I'll take the stuff?" Alex faced her.

"Yeah, just stick with the plan." The two shook their hands and closed with the agreement.

"Here's a couple of wines; each alcohol content is high, surely it will do a great part," Arian handed her the bottles.

"Oh, help me, God!" Alex muttered, leaving the house.

It was almost late in the afternoon when Alex returned to their house as she had lunch with Arian. She had to study first what to do and what the first move would be. Alex wanted to quit with the plan that had not started yet, as she had to gather all her guts to do it.

While tracing the road home, she didn't know how and where to start. Her head was full of thoughts that she didn't notice she was already at their house's facade. She shook her head when she realized it. She opened the door and took the giant paper bag into her room. It drained her thinking about the plan that she had slept the whole afternoon until evening. It was dimmer already when Alex woke up; she hurriedly padded downstairs to prepare dinner as her mom would be back any minute. Alex noticed Jake's room was unlocked.

Evening came, and her mom arrived home. They had their dinner together without Jake.

"Where's that child?" Sophia asked.

"Maybe tried again to find a job."

"I used to eat dinner, just the two of us. Then, when I started working, I learned to eat alone. When Jake came here, I was used to eating here with him, and now with you again. Then the next week, I'll be alone again. I'm going to miss you two." She smiled sadly.

Alex felt it too that she was quickly saddened and guilty, leaving her mom alone again in the house at her age, where supposedly someone takes care of her. But Alex needs her job for the next school year, which she hesitated.

"Mom, I promise, give me a few months more; I'll be enrolling in the university here. At least we'll see each other daily. Castle Pines is too far from here to commute."

"Yes, I understand, Sweetheart. Don't worry about me; I'm okay. I'm sorry you have to work that far and have had a hard time. And I'm very sorry too that I can't afford to send you to college. By the way, I have my little savings; have that; it could help you a little." She said with a sad face.

"Thank you, Mom, but save it for yourself. I'd be okay." Her mom kissed her head and went upstairs.

Alex started to clean the table and sink. Then she hurriedly took a shower, wrapped her hair, and hastily went down, thinking Jake would come anytime she had to prepare. She wore denim shorts and a pale yellow cotton sleeveless top. Alex brushed her hair and dried it quickly. She just let it fall on her elbows. Alex had been waiting the whole night for him. Alex lay down on the sofa and fell asleep. Still, no Jake appeared. She was so mad late at night when she woke up. She went to her room, changed her clothes to her original outfit, and slept.

Jake came with a handful of groceries, food, drinks, and clothes early in the morning.

Jake and his Aunt Sophia had breakfast together, which Jake prepared for her.

"Where did you get all of these?" Her Aunt was curious because she knew he was still looking for a job.

"Mrs. Wahlberg recommended me to her client as a part-time driver. They paid me per hour until the morning at the golf club. They held a party there. I bought some dresses from the souvenir store inside the golf club, and the goods, Mrs. Wahlberg's client, gave those as she had won those from the raffle game." He stated.

"Aunt, I bought something for you. I hope it will fit you." Jake pulled a floral dress.

"Thank you, son; no one gave me this beautiful dress; it's expensive. Did it cost you that much?"

"Never mind, Aunt, you deserve it." He chirped because she was so surprised and saw the spark of happiness in her eyes.

It was the first time he gave a person something from his earned money. It was some feeling he couldn't explain that he felt so happy and helpful.

"I must go now; thank you for breakfast, son." Jake nodded.