Redemption

Ruby's POV

The hospital cafeteria was no glass house in New Jersey.

But it had a huge glass wall that overlooked the hospital garden.

It was silly that I was standing in front of the glass wall in a blue and silver long sleeved leotard. It was even stupider that my heart was beating fast against my chest. Because of Jason.

Bad boys are mean to the girls they like.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as Jason circled me, his eyes narrowed. My heart was heaving hard against my chest and I hoped he didn't notice.

I hoped he didn't notice how heavy my breathing was.

I was being delusional.

Why had I even come here anyway? Why had I suggested we meet up? What was I doing here?

I felt my breath hitch when he placed a hand beneath my chin and then raised his hand a little, causing me to raise my chin.

And when he reached for my right hand,I could tell I was trembling already. I watched the left side of his mouth lift mischievously, but his eyes remained focused on my hands.

He looked sad, even sadder than usual.

And I could tell that he was doing it again, pretending to be okay.

But I couldn't bring myself to ask any questions. I couldn't ask what he was doing in the hospital by 5AM because I couldn't risk making him angry again.

"Do I make you nervous, Ruby Kent?" His smile faltered as he glanced down at my now bare wrist since he'd insisted that I take my bracelet off. I watched his jaw tighten as he looked up,his gaze meeting mine. His eyes held so many questions and I tried to pull my hand away but he wouldn't let go. His hand was hot against mine and he was staring at me intently, his eyes threatening to bore a hole into my skin.

I let out a shaky breath and then bit down on my lower lip, lowering my gaze when I saw his eyes follow the action.

I was scared that he would ask about my scar. Not because he cared, but simply because he wanted to know. A lot of people did that.
It was the major reason why Noel got me the bracelet in the first place. Because he saw how much it affected me when people switched up when they noticed the scar on my hand.

They treated me like something fragile.

Like something damaged.

To me, that bracelet hadn't just been a lucky bracelet, no. It had been a cover up to hide my dirty little secret.

And now he knew. Jason knew.

I swallowed hard and then faked a smile.

"You couldn't make me nervous if you wanted to,Jason."

He stared at me for a few more seconds and then lowered my hand until it was resting on the wooden make-do beam beside me.

I had no idea how he had even come up with it at 5AM in the morning.

And then he disappeared behind me once more,but due to the heat radiating from his body,I could tell he was standing right behind me. And when I felt his hands brush against the nape of my neck as he released some strands of hair from my bun,I froze. Completely.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled, reminding myself that it was just Jason.

My nemesis.

Psychotic Jason.

To remind myself that his presence wasn't supposed to affect me.

I would have asked him to step away but if I did that,it would only prove to him that his presence affected me... which it certainly didn't.