What Tells A Story More Than A Painting?

Ruby's POV

(5 days later)

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as Jason circled me,his eyes narrowed.

I felt my breath hitch when he placed a hand beneath my chin and then raised his hand a little, causing me to raise my chin.

And when he reached for my right hand,I could tell I was trembling already. I watched the left side of his mouth lift mischievously, but his eyes remained concentrated on my hands.

"Do I make you nervous, Ruby Kent?" His smile faltered as he glanced down at my now bare wrist since he'd insisted that I take my bracelet off. I watched his jaw tighten as he looked up,his gaze meeting mine. His eyes held so many questions and I tried to pull my hand away but he wouldn't let go.

I exhaled and then looked away,suddenly grateful that it was just him. I knew he wouldn't care enough to ask any questions.

So I swallowed hard and then faked a smile.

"You couldn't make me nervous if you wanted to,Jason."

He stared at me for a few more seconds and then lowered my hand until it was resting on the wooden beam beside me.

And then he disappeared behind me once more,but due to the heat radiating from his body,I could tell he was standing tight behind me. And when I felt his hands brush against the nape of my neck as he released some strands of hair from my bun,I froze. Completely.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled, reminding myself that it was just Jason.

My nemesis.

To remind myself that his presence wasn't supposed to affect me.

I would have asked him to step away but if I did that,it would only prove to him that his presence affected me... which it certainly didn't.

Crap.

"Perfect." He moved away and then I exhaled, glad to finally be able to breathe again. "Kent,do not move." He walked past me and then moved towards his canvas. My eyes followed him but he kept his gaze focused on his palette as he mixed his paint in it.

And deep down in my heart,I had a gut feeling that even though he pretended not to care, what he saw affected him more than he'd like to admit.

Bad boys are mean to the girls they like.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled.

"Jason,if you don't mind,I uhm-" I pursed my lip and then breathed. "I don't want my scar in the painting. " I muttered under my breath.

He glanced up at me and even though it was for a few seconds, I could have sworn I saw something other than his usual "I couldn't care less facade" flash through his eyes.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it was something.

And then he nodded,turning back to his paint.

"You really are something aren't you?" He shrugged. "Ruby Kent."

(Present time)

Ruby's POV

"You're staring." I tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear and then shifted uncomfortably. I was trying as hard as I could to keep my eyes focused on the screen of my computer but I didn't have to look to know he had a stupid smirk on his face.

"I know." His voice was deeper than usual as he slouched further into the sofa. "Does that make you uncomfortable, Ruby Kent?"

Fuck me.

I sighed,deciding to ignore his conceited remark...probably because I didn't even have a comeback. He was right.

His gaze was making me very uncomfortable.

"So for our story,I came up with a synopsis yesterday. Uhm-" I paused when a tennis ball flew just above my head and then hit the wall behind me. I rolled my eyes and then bit down on my lower lip to stop myself from cursing.

An entire hour had passed and I was still staring at the blank page on my computer screen. I exhaled and then sighed.

"So,I was thinking, instead of the usual cliche romance stories,we could-"

"Boring." He cut me off,throwing the ball once more. This time, I was pretty sure if my head was tilted just a little bit to the side,it definitely would have hit me. I slammed my hand against the center table and then drew in a deep breath.

I knew he was trying to get me riled up.

I didn't want to give in to him,I was a thin line away from snapping.

"Jase-"

"It's Jason to you,Ruby Kent." He grinned. "Jason Monroe." He added, cheekily and as much as I had to admit it,he looked really cute when he smiled.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled.

I should have known that there was no chance he was here to work on the project with me.

Then why was he here?

Why did he bother to reply my text message?

Why did he even show up at my door?

Bad boys are mean to the girls they like.

I shook my head in attempt to get rid of the thought and then reached for my keyboard. I clicked my tongue as I began to type my ideas into the computer. Fuck it,I didn't need Jason to come up with a bad ass story and I was going to show him that.

I could feel his gaze on me as I typed and when I stole a glance at him from the corner of my eyes,I noticed that the smirk he wore earlier was completely gone from his face.

I wasn't even sure he was aware of the sudden shift in the air around him. I shifted uncomfortably and then swallowed.

"Ruby-" He started,causing me to lift my head immediately. Because for the first time since I met him,he had addressed me without adding my last name and I didn't know if it was something to be happy about. "Just how badly do you want to get this done?" He raised an eyebrow.

I tucked my legs beneath my butt and then cleared my throat.

"Is this a trick question?"

"I have an idea." He threw the tennis ball at the wall once more. "Why not give them more than one story in one story?" He continued, catching the ball when it bounced back.

I chuckled and then shook my head.

"I don't-"

"What tells a story more than a painting?" He raised an eyebrow and at this point,I was pretty sure I wasn't doing a good job at hiding the fact that I thought he was going crazy.

"You want us to buy a painting?" I said,meaning to mock him but the moment those words left my my mouth,the corners of his mouth lifted.

"Even better." He flicked his tongue over his lower lip. "I'm going to paint."

I stared at him like he had grown two heads.

"Well,I'm sorry to kill your dreams Jason but this is supposed to be a team effort." I ran my fingers through my hair. "There's no way we'd get a good grade if I let you do all the work."

He gave me a knowing smirk as he rose to his feet,both hands crossed behind his back.

"Not if I paint you." He stared down at me. "Ruby Kent."

Fuck me.

No.

Double fuck me.

I guess we just cant leave these two alone for a second🤭.

Please don't forget to vote,comment and share.

-Love,Chay.