A Step Closer

Kimberly's POV

"Its a beautiful painting. " I felt a smile crawl it's way to my face the moment I heard his voice.  I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. I'd smelled him before he spoke... felt him watching me. I lifted my campaign flute to my mouth and then took a sip. I stared at him, a wave of familiarity washing over me. Unlike everyone else in the room, he wasn't wearing a mask but for some reason, I couldn't see his face even if he was standing right in front of me.

But I knew this man....I was certain.

"Duo Stulti." He continued.  I turned back to painting of a man and a woman on the wall. "Its Latin for two fools." He added.

I took a step closer and then closed my eyes halfway as though to get a better view of  the painting. I realized then, that the girl in the painting was me.

There's wasn't enough detail on her face but her hair, her clothes, her mask mirrored mine.  I narrowed my eyebrows and then turned around but when I did,  I wasn't in the hall anymore. 

I was back home, standing right on the porch.

I whirled around,my eyebrows creased in confusion.

What on earth was going on?

"Hello?!" I called out cautiously. "Hello? Is anyone home? Mum?! " I called again.  "Isabel?!" I climbed up the stairs leading to the front door. Almost immediately, I was taken aback by the sight of three police cars pulling up in front of the house, the sound of their sirens filling my ears.

I placed my hand over my eyes to block out the bright lights from their headlights and then turned towards the door, panic slowly rising in my veins.

"Mum?" I tugged at the handle but it wouldn't budge.  "Mum?!" I raised my voice as men began to alight from the car. Only this time, they weren't dressed as policemen...no. They were dressed in dark blue overalls with the words "Monroe and Co" printed boldly on the side.

"M-mum?" I stammered.

"Step away from the door and put your hands where we can see them!" One of the men yelled.

I felt my entire body freeze as I carefully pulled my hand away from the door knob.

Trembling, I raised my hands above my head and then turned around.
I glanced down at the ground not daring to look up.

"Drop your weapon and put your hands where I can see them!" He yelled, cocking his gun.

I swallowed hard, and then opened my mouth to say something when a certain realization dawned on me.

He wasn't talking to me...no.

Hell, he wasn't even looking at me. None of them were. They all seemed more concerned about the door behind me.

My hands trembled as I turned around slowly , my legs unsteady.

Mum stood behind me,a gun in her hand,her hands trembling ferociously.  She sniffed,wiping away the tears from her face.

"Mum-" I whispered.

"I said drop your weapon and put your hands where I can see them!" The man repeated.

She looked at me and then smiled faintly.

"Don't. " I sobbed. "Please. Please do-"

She pulled the trigger before I could complete my statement and in an instant, bullets were being fired at her from all angles.

I let a scream escape me as I watched her lifeless body drop to the ground.

"M-m-mum?" I stammered kneeling immediately beside her. "M-mum?" I placed my hands over her body in attempt to apply pressure on the wounds but there were just too many bullet wounds. "S-Stay with me please. S-stay with me." I cleaned my tears away with the back of my hand, sobbing hard when I felt the warmth of the blood on my hands touch my face.

Almost immediately, I was pulled away from her.

I couldn't tell by who,or what,or where whoever it was was taking me.

"Let go of me!" I muttered weakly,trying to free but it was pointless.

All I could do was stare at her lifeless,bloodied body as I was pulled into oblivion.

I shut my eyes tightly, feeling tear drops roll down my cheeks.

When I opened my eyes again,hard blue eyes were staring back at me.  I held on tightly to the collar of my robe, trying to control my breathing. Trying to block out the screeching white noise in my ears.

"Mrs. Monroe-" The voice was faint but I heard it.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled,struggling to catch my breath. But no matter how much I tried, I couldn't seem to get my breathing under control.

Everything hurt.

Everything hurt so damn much.

I felt my hands grip the sheets,choking back a sob when I felt a sharp pain pass through my chest.

"Kimberly-"

"Mrs. Monroe-"

"She's burning up-"

"Phoebe, call Keenan right now-"

"We're going to the hospital-"

The voices were all background noises now...disoriented.

I felt arms lift me up from the bed.

And then everything went black.

Short A/N

I'm a little unsure about this chapter but we'll all see where it goes.

Don't forget to vote and share if you love this story.

Ask questions too if you have any.

Till next time.

Love,Chay.