Drowned

Jase' POV

She jumped.

Shit!

I raked my fingers  through my hair, panic surging through my veins like wildfire. I wanted to scream for help but my voice suddenly felt stuck in my throat.

"Breathe." I reminded myself.
It was happening all over again. Someone else was dying in front of me.

I looked around. I was on the Manhattan bridge and it was One AM in the morning. There was nothing else I could do, no one to help. I could see the headlights from an approaching but it would take too long before it got here. I cursed out loud as I pulled off my shoes hurriedly. Someone had to save her. Someone had to save her fast. I took a deep breath.

And then I jumped.

And it wasn't until my body hit the water that I  remembered.

I couldn't swim!

Damn!
I had always been terrified of the water. Never learned to swim. I kicked and kicked as the water found its way into my lungs.

I was drowning! Was I going to die? I was definitely going to die. I was going do die with her.

The water got into my eyes, nose, lungs. It was everywhere and I tried to fight it. I wanted to survive. There was no way I would die at eighteen, no way I would be remembered as Jason Monroe, the rich, spoiled young man who had taken his own life.
But arms felt weaker, I felt weaker. My eyes were shutting close but still, I fought.

I thought about my mom. I had been horrible to her for the past four years. I thought about the horrible words I said to her. All the times I had made her cry.

I wasn't ready to die yet.
But I felt weak. My hands failed me. I couldn't breathe and I finally stopped fighting.

I was dying.

My hands stilled and I muttered a short prayer as I felt my body sink to oblivion . Something about forgiveness. I wasn't sure what exactly it was I said, but I said was sure I said something. My eyes shut close and I felt the water pull my body down. And then a hand grabbed mine.