One Step Forward,Ten Steps Back.

Jason's POV

I let out an exasperated sigh when I heard Roxi's soft footsteps draw closer.

I could tell there was someone with her. Unlike hers, the sound of his footsteps were loud and heavy against the tiles, the type work shoes made whenever they made contacts with hard tiles.

I could tell instantly that the Butler, George was behind her.

"Leave us." I heard her say.

To be honest,I hadn't meant to come here. But Ruby's words had taken a huge toll on me. I know she hadn't meant any harm when she told me about her brother. Maybe she had been trying to get into my head, or maybe, just maybe all along I'd been waiting for someone to see past the fancy cars and designer clothes. Maybe I'd been waiting for someone to point out that I wasn't okay, for someone to be willing to listen.

I felt like I was suffocating and I needed to pour my heart out. I needed to go back to the night it all started. And somehow,I had wound up here. Ruby Kent didn't know about the demons in my closet. She could never understand them.

"Jason." Roxi called softly when she was standing few steps behind me. "What are you doing here? Are you okay?" She asked, her voice laced with concern as she placed a hand on my left shoulder, causing me to turn around.

I turned to face her and then faked a smile. But even doing that hurt so fucking much. I drew in a deep breath and then bit down on my lower lip, feeling tears gather in my eyes. I watched her draw in a sharp breath and then looked around, her eyes scanning through the space we were in.

"Come with me." She reached for my hand. I let her lead me down the hall and then through the corridor. She pushed a door open and then walked in, pulling me in after her. She shut the door behind her and then ran her fingers through her hair.

"What happened?" She raised an eyebrow. I drew in a deep breath as I moved towards the sofa in the centre of the room and sat down,chewing on the inside of my bottom lip. She hesitantly sat down beside me,her eyes filled with worry. "Jase," She started. "Tell me what happened." She whispered,reaching for my hand. I turned to face her and then sniffed.

"It's all my fault." I breathed. "Everything that happened so far, it's all my fault. The accident, Dre's DID-" I pursed my lip. "Sam Levine,Gloria,Isabel Greyson and every other person that died,it's all my fault-" I turned away from her to clean my tears away from my eyes. "I'm the reason you got married at 17, I'm the reason why Meg died, I'm the reason why all these bad things happened to our family. I'm the bad thing-"

"Jase-"

"Let me finish, Xi." I sniffed and then bit down on my lower lip. "I-If I hadn't been such a fucking child that night, dad wouldn't have been so distracted. He wouldn't have run into the truck, he wouldn't have been in the fucking coma. A-Andre wouldn't have been traumatised and you wouldn't have had to marry Will and mum would never have had to choose between the love of her life and her kids." My eyebrows creased and I could feel tears filling my eyes all over again.

"K-Keen wouldn't have had to work so fucking hard and m-maybe Meg would still be alive. Samuel would still be alive,all t-those people would still be alive." I said,choking back a sob. "I think about this everyday Xi. And I am so s-sad. I am so damaged and I am terrified. I-I can't take any more deaths, X-Xi." I stuttered. "Please fix this. I don't want to hurt myself and I am so scared that I will."

Roxi stared at me for a moment, her eyes glistened with tears. She sniffed and then let out a shaky breath.

"Jason, I'm so sorry." Her voice broke. "I-" She flicked her tongue over her lower lip. "I'll find a way to make things better, okay?" She sniffed. "I promise that I will. Just hold on for me. C- can you do that, Jason?"

I drew in a sharp breath, relief coursing through my veins. I felt as though I could finally see light at the end of the long, dark tunnel I'd been trapped in.

She raised her hand to my head and ran her fingers through my hair, soothing me.

"Okay." I breathed.

"I love you so much." She whispered as I placed my head on her legs and then shut my eyes, feeling my body finally began to relax until the sound of her cellphone interrupted,cutting through the silence in the room. I felt her carefully adjust as she reached in the pocket of her night wear for her phone and then glanced at the screen before she made a swipe across the screen, declining the call.

It barely took a second before my cellphone began vibrate in the back pocket of my jeans. Roxi and I exchanged glances as I sat up and then pulled the phone out from my pocket. I swallowed hard as I glanced down at the caller ID.

Paul.

Making a quick swipe across the screen of my phone,I answered the call and then placed the phone close to my ear.

"Paul." I hoped I didn't sound like I had been crying but with the urgency in Paul's voice when he spoke, he probably wouldn't have noticed whether or not I had been crying. "Paul, slow down." I stood up abruptly, running my fingers over my face. "W-what did you just say?" I asked,feeling my body grow numb.

"You have to come down to Saint Michael hospital, Jason." He repeated. "Your mother, she's in the ER."

Please vote and share your thoughts on this chapter with me.

Also, don't forget to share this story if you enjoy reading.

Love,Chay.