The Sad Reality

Jason's POV

Slow motion.

The method of showing action at a much slower speed than it happened in real life.

I was in one of those moments.

Moments when time passed slowly.

When every second was painful to live in.

I stared at the lifeless body of the woman on the bed from the door where I stood.

Her skin was pale,and her lips were blue.

And I watched the nurse pull the white cloth over her body,until she was fully covered.

And then the cries hit me.

Heartbreaking sobs from the girl Ruby was desperately trying to hold on to.

I recognized her from O'Riley's party. She'd had a little too much to drink and she'd passed out on the front porch.

I'd asked Tyler to give her a ride home since he was the only one who seemed to know where she was headed.

And the woman on the bed was Mrs. Adriana Lee.

Her mother.

I drew in a deep breath and then exhaled, desperate to get some air into my lungs.

Some years ago,this was me. She was me, Holding on desperately to my fathers lifeless body. Crying at the top of my lungs like it would somehow bring him back.

And in Ruby's place was Keenan .

Holding on to me, telling me that our father was in a better place now,a place where there was no pain, a place where he could look after us better.

And I remembered him holding back his own tears because he knew that if he let as much as a drop fall,I would go on forever.

But I'd seen him that day at midnight.

Sitting all alone in the dark.

Crying alone in the dark.

I sniffed and then let out a shaky breath as I turned away from the door.

I figured I had to give them some time alone.

And if I wasn't so shaken,I'd have stopped to ask myself why my drama teacher just walked past me.

I pushed the hospital doors open and then walked out.

"Jason!"

Shit.

My vision blurred as I approached my car.

"Jason!"

I pulled the door open and got in. I put the key in the ignition and then started the engine just as Ruby pulled the door to the passenger seat open and then got in.

I brushed my hands through my face and then sighed.

"I saw-" Her eyebrows furrowed. She sniffed and then bit down on her lower lip.

Her eyes were red and swollen.

Her entire face was red and swollen as a matter of fact.

"I saw you leave the hospital. You looked pretty shaken. Are you okay?" She cleaned her tears away with the back of her hand.

"Of course." I faked a smile as I turned the car engine off. "Uhm-" I pursed my lip. "Something came up, I have to go." I said,  clearing my throat,when my voice shook.

She stared at me for a few seconds,her eyes slightly widened like a sudden realization had just dawned on her.

"Were you-" She paused. "Were you crying?"