Ideas

The next morning, you'd returned to doing your daily activities. At breakfast, you found it humorous to throw bread at the Ravenclaws, at which they responded with throwing some of their bread back at you, all of you laughing.

"[F/n]'s in a good mood," Hermione said.

"How could I not be? How banging is it to be alive!" You said, throwing a piece of bread directly at Hermione's face, who sat opposite you.

"What's gotten into you?" She laughed gently.

"I don't know, but I love it!" Ginny said happily, throwing some bread at you, which you picked up and proceeded to throw back at her face. "Where did [F/n] go yesterday when she left with Snape?"

"His office. Malfoy had detention and Snape had a gift for me. He gave me my mother's favourite book."

"Miss Potter," McGonagall's voice spread across the Great Hall, "please do not waste food."

"Me, Professor McGonagall? I would never!" You called back, allowing the entire Great Hall to hear you and begin to snicker at your response. McGonagall only shook her head in response, but commented no more. The Beauxbatons and Durmstrangs were also in the Great Hall, meaning there were slightly more people than usual, and you could tell Hermione had her eye on Viktor Krum; you could not blame her, for he was indeed very handsome. "Oh, Hermione, for the Yule Ball, are we hoping for you-know-who?"

"Shh!" Hermione shushed you quickly.

"Who?" Ron quickly asked.

"No one." You said, covering your mouth.

Later that day, in your DADA lesson, things did indeed proceed to take an unusual turn. Sitting with Hermione, Mad-Eyed Moody led your lesson. He introduced himself, and whilst he did so, his eyes proceeded to jump back and forth. A mannerism of his which you caught onto quickly was his constant licking of his teeth, or lips, you could tell entirely, but it was a very snake-like mannerism.

"They say you're too young to learn about it but I think that's absolutely wrong!" He said chaotically, hitting his cane on the ground. "You need to know about the unforgivable curses! How many are there?"

"There are three," Hermione replied.

"Very good, Miss Granger. And now, what are they?"

Awkwardly, Ron lifted his hand.

"Yes, yes, Mr Weasley! Stand up!"

Ron, even more awkwardly now, stood up and scrunched his face uncomfortably.

"The Imperius Curse."

"Yes! Very good!" Moody called out, making his way to his desk, on which he picked up a jar and opened it, pulling out a small spider which held onto the palm of his hand. "Imperio!" He yelled, aiming his wand at the spider. With this, wherever he directed his wand, the spider flew that way. It bounced back and forth from students' faces, at which many students screamed and panicked. You did not find the matter humorous at all, neither did Hermione, but some people laughed. It was only somewhat entertaining when it flew on Malfoy's face and the boy began to panic back and forth, begging to get it off.

"Now what shall we do it? Maybe make it fall out the window?" He asked in a menacing tone, bringing the spider towards the window. "Or perhaps make it drown?" And thus silence encompassed the entire classroom, an uncomfortable atmosphere. "Alright, next curse," Moody said, bringing the spider back to himself. "Who knows another one?"

Also uncomfortably, Neville lifted his hand.

"Longbottom, is it? Stand up!"

Neville stood. "The Cruciatus Curse."

"Yes!" Moody grinned. "Come here, come here."

Neville, absolutely horrified, slowly made his way up to the front of the classroom.

"Crucio!" Moody yelled, his wand at the spider. And so, a loud squeak began to fill everyone's ears. Physically feeling the spider's pain, you scrunched your face, closed your eyes and covered your mouth, not wishing to see or hear the situation any longer. Hermione too turned away, her face in physical pain.

"Stop! You're hurting it!" Hermione cried out. Moody turned to her and stopped. However, this proved to be much worse, as Moody carried the spider over to Hermione and set it before her on her textbook, causing it to be directly in your sight as you sat by Hermione.

"Can you tell us the third curse, Miss Granger?" Moody asked. Hermione pursed her lips and shook her head, averting his gaze. "No? Alright. Avada Kedavra!" And with this, the spider fell on its back, dead as a doornail. You stared at it, almost feeling the curse in your own blood. The mere thought of the curse caused the scar to irritate you. "This curse," Moody continued, walking up into the front of the classroom. "There have only been two people ever to have survived this curse," he pursed his lips. "And they sit in this class."

Staring at Moody, you lowered your eyes, feeling the eeriness of his character. Harry turned to you, and you flashed Harry a look of uncertainty.

"Would I survive the curse today?" You asked boldly, causing Moody to be taken aback.

"Survive it today, Miss Potter? No one could predict that."

"Why did I survive it then?"

"Well, who knows," he groaned. "Only the dark lord himself would be able to answer that question."

"I suppose I'll ask him then," you smirked at Moody. "Seeing as I'll be seeing him soon."

"Seeing him soon?" Moody stared at you. "Interesting take."

Malfoy's eyes were fixed on you throughout the entire class, his thoughts spiralling with ideas of you. If only you'd known; the way his teenage self watched you in your seat, slouched, always smirking, always saying bold things, with your hair always messy. Oh, had you known. The desire to be the cause of messy hair. Potter, oh, Potter. Yet, you were indeed no better, for you often returned glances and allowed your eyes to meet with Malfoy's, the exact same ideas running through you.

At the end of that lesson, you listened to Hermione talk about the absurdity of that lesson, but you did not comment.

"It's the results tomorrow for the Tournament, isn't it?" You asked.

"Yes. We're all gathering there for a bit later today, Fred and George want to try out their potion. Coming?" Harry asked.

"Sure."