In The Game

On the train to Hogwarts, you sat with your Gryffindors, all of you still thinking about what had happened back at the match and the mark of Voldemort. Who the individual could have been, who you saw, you still did not know. You wished you'd done something before he ran away, or at least tried to get a better glimpse of his face, but in that moment, you proved yourself worthless.

"I still can't believe they don't know who it was," Hermione said, reading a newspaper. "They're out on the loose now. We're screwed."

"Do you think this means...he's getting closer?" Ron asked.

"He won't rest until he has me and [F/n]."

"This isn't fair," Hermione groaned. "They should find him as soon as possible!"

"I'm going to the toilet," you announced, feeling iffy at the situation. Hermione looked at you worriedly, but you only flashed her a reassuring smile before standing up and making your way through the train to the toilet. You kept your head down at all times, thinking back to the moment the man shouted the spell and then the mark, and trying your best to decipher a face. Nothing worked. And so, to clear your mind, you walked into the toilet and looked up at yourself in the mirror, leaning on the sink. You did not need to actually use the toilet, but you felt the need to stay alone for a moment. You decided to use this opportunity to wash your face, hopefully to distract yourself of your eerie thoughts. When done, you opened the toilet door and were ready to leave, when you noticed an individual waiting for the toilet, leaning against the wall opposite the door.

"Potter," Malfoy said, lifting himself up from the wall. "You're here," he scoffed.

You paused for a moment, many feelings flooding you. You were already overwhelmed with the current situation, and now seeing Malfoy all of a sudden was not helpful, for you were flooded with anger, sadness, and many requited and unrequited feelings which you yourself were yet unaware of.

"Are - are you about to cry?" He asked, panicking, as he noticed the shift in your expression.

No longer holding it in, you scrunched your face as tears began to pool and you gave him a nod.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, his face also scrunched, only in confusion and disgust.

"Fuck off, Malfoy," you quickly said, rubbing tears off your cheek before pushing him hard, sending him back into the wall. His eyes widened out of confusion, and he stared at you as you left, ultimately confused at your sudden lash out.

"Fucking hell," he muttered to himself, watching you leave, "women."

Rather than returning to your friends, you headed for the compartment in which you knew your boyfriend was in. He sat with his Hufflepuff friends, laughing, and you quietly opened the compartment and stood at the door, watching Cedric. Upon sight of you, his expression immediately changed and he disregarded his friends instantly and stood up, going out of the compartment with you and walking to the end of the train. He opened the door, meaning you and him were free to walk outside on the little part of the train at the back with the railing, thus giving you the ability to see the train move through the mountains and watch them as they grew smaller and disappeared into the distance, the more the train moved forwards.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, his hand placed on your cheek, looking at you with a face full of worry.

"I'm just so overwhelmed."

"That's fine, [F/n], it's fine to feel overwhelmed," he smiled sadly at you before pressing you against his chest, hugging you tightly. It felt comforting to be against him, and you listened to the sound of his heartbeat. After a moment, you lifted your head to speak to Cedric, when the door to the train opened yet again, and in it stood Malfoy with a stoic expression, though there was something in his face that you'd seen before; an emotion which you'd identified somewhere. Perhaps - the dream. The sadness, perhaps, was what was of resemblance to you. The way, in the dream, that he looked upon you with desolate eyes, informing you that it was too late but you looked beautiful, even in a black dress. Yes - he had the similar expression just now, as he stood in the door, holding it open and looking upon you and Cedric.

"Leave her alone, Malfoy," Cedric quickly said, "she's not in the mood for your pettiness."

"No," Malfoy protested, "I'm here to ask if she's alright."

"What?" You asked, gently pulling yourself away from Cedric.

"You lashed out a bit," Malfoy cleared his throat, looking down at you. "And you didn't even try to argue with me, which was a bit weird."

"I'm just not in an arguing mood."

"Which is very unlike you."

Cedric wished to protest, and ask how would Malfoy know what is like or unlike you, but he did not get a chance to open his mouth and say what he wished, for you and Malfoy now became encompassed in your own conversation, both yours and his attention completely on each other.

"Yeah, well, can't always be superior to you."

"That comment," Malfoy smiled gently (also unlike him), "that's also very unlike you. You always want to be superior."

"I don't want to. I am, get it right." You said, a gentle smile also forming on your lips.

"Well, clearly you're quite alright."

"Nothing I can't handle."

"There's a lot you could never handle," Malfoy said with a gentle laugh, looking down at you with a soft expression.

"Draco?" Pansy's voice appeared from behind as she took a hold of his arm and pulled him back into the train. "What're you doing?" She looked outside, looking you and Cedric up and down, "of course it's her. Let's go, Draco. And you, as I said, do us all a favour and stay away from my boyfriend."

"Literally no one wants your boyfriend," you sneered. "Not all of us have shit taste."

"There she is," Malfoy muttered under his nose, a smirk growing on his lips, realising you were back in the game.