Courageous Malfoy

The basilisk opened its mouth wider and began diving down towards your body, when it suddenly released another cry of pain and rose back up, shaking its head. From behind the snake revealed himself Malfoy with the sword, as he'd just stabbed the basilisk.

"Potter, catch!" He called out, throwing the sword over to you. With little energy and feeling in your body, you moved to catch the sword and held it up, still on the ground. The basilisk was now ultimately angry and, taking another shot at you, dived its head towards you with its mouth open, fangs revealed, however instead of colliding with you, it allowed the sword to enter through its mouth and through its head as you had held the sword in the correct positioning for it.

"No!" Tom Riddle cried out and, as the basilisk began losing its consciousness, he too began to grow weaker and eventually found himself withering and fading away, meshing with the air and once more becoming a distant memory with no physical aspect. He was not Voldemort. He was a mere representation of him. He was not what you fuelled your hatred towards.

The basilisk, now, fell completely to the side, dead.

"Help Ginny!" You called out to Malfoy, but he ignored your orders and charged over to you, squatting down beside you and helping you lift yourself with your limp arm.

"Of course you've broken it again! You're good for nothing, Potter!"

"Oh, shut up!" You groaned.

"Can you stand?"

"Yes." You said, and Malfoy held you up, helping you stand. Him touching you was perhaps the most courageous part of the night. The two of you finally sprinted to Ginny, Malfoy a little less eager, but he did. "Ginny, wake up!" You nudged her, on the ground, whilst Malfoy stood over you and watched. She remained unconscious, thus you checked her pulse and felt relieved to find it pumping. Once more, you nudged her, and after some more tries, her eyes gently opened and she lifted herself in confusion.

"Where am I?"

"You're ok!" You smiled, pulling her in for a hug and squeezing her tightly. She was fundamentally confused, and just looked up at Malfoy, then at you, and then looked around. "Let's go home, shall we?" You smiled.

"You're dirty." She said softly.

"Yes, we did get quite dirty." You acknowledged, feeling all the damp water and dirt on your skin and clothes.

"What about the sword?" Malfoy asked.

"I suppose we take it?"

He nodded. "I'll get it."

"No. I don't trust you."

"What could I do!?" He furrowed his brows, suddenly defensive.

"Hold Ginny." You instructed, but he refused. "I said, hold Ginny."

This time, he followed the instructions and held her up, whilst you went and grabbed the sword out of the basilisk's mouth with your alive arm, taking one last good look at the basilisk. Indeed, it looked terrifying. Yet, you had killed it. "I'm so cool." You whispered to yourself.

"Potter, how are we supposed to get out?" Malfoy asked, holding Ginny up.

You were about to reply and say you don't know, when the phoenix once more flew in through to the chamber.

"Well," you said, looking over at the phoenix. "I suppose this way."

You did indeed end up making your way out. It was getting Ginny to the Gryffindor room that was the hardest part, for it was awkward to walk through the school with Malfoy looking like absolute trash and holding a sword and one arm broken. But you made it eventually, and you placed her down. You were glad that your friends were not about, for you knew you would get bombarded with questions but that was not something you were ready for. Instead, the two of you turned to make your way to the Slytherin common room, but were stopped by Professor McGonagall who informed you two that one, you looked like mess, two, Dumbledore wanted the two of you in his office. Both you and Malfoy looked at each other with tired faces, and then sighing, headed off to the office of Dumbledore.

"We are probably in trouble," you suggested.

"I can't believe I followed you."

"It's on you. Don't blame me."

"Potter, what the hell happened in there?"

"Is it just me or is young Voldemort really hot?"

"What?" Malfoy turned to you in utter disgust. "You're weird. No wonder no one likes you."

"Right." You huffed.

Eventually, you made it up the staircase into Dumbledore's office, where the first thing you caught sight of was the phoenix that had just pulled you out of the chamber, sitting calmly on its cage. Dumbledore finally, after some seconds of waiting, made his way down to his desk and smiled happily to see the two of you.

"Very brave of you two, don't you think?" He said, smiling.

"We almost died." You said.

"I'm going to tell my father all about the stuff that goes on here." Malfoy scoffed, turning away.

"No, you won't." You said. "Or I'll push you in the chamber and lock you in there forever."

"You can try," Malfoy groaned.

"It wasn't an easy thing that you two just did. And it certainly wasn't foreseen. It was a sudden decision, [F/n]."

"I wasn't expecting myself to open it so quickly."

"Who did you see down there?"

You and Malfoy remained silent, looking at various places in Dumbledore's office, somewhat struggling to recall it due to the excessive fear that it reminded you of.

Dumbledore got his wand out and lightly tapped it against the air and, without a word, sudden pain struck through your arm but within seconds, it was healed.

"See, you could have gone through that in the first year," he laughed gently with a smile. "Go on, you two, go and clean yourselves and go to bed."

You and Malfoy nodded and turned around, ready to leave. Malfoy left first and when you were left behind, Dumbledore quickly added to you and only you, "[F/n], be careful, will you?"

You nodded, looking at him quietly, and left with Malfoy, and thus the two of you walked through the hallways together in silence. It was empty now, for everyone was in bed as it was rather late by now, but the view was exceptional with the moonlight shining through the windows of Hogwarts. Standing in the middle of a hallway, you turned to Malfoy, who, upon realising you'd stopped, also stopped and turned to you.

"Thanks, by the way," you said.

"For?"

"For, you know, helping me."

He paused.

"Yeah, thanks to you too."

"Let's never speak of it again, though."

"Agreed." He cleared his throat. "None of today happened."