Second Place

You'd awoken in the Hospital Wing, and, when you rose, you discovered that it was dark outside. Groaning, you sighed and got off the bed, recalling the events of the tournament. Yes - you remembered everything, and you quickly realised why you fell unconscious. The lack of oxygen for a long period, of course. It was a miracle you hadn't sucked in water, or it would have been very dangerous. But - what was the outcome? You were the last one out, meaning you got last place. Did that mean you were free from the final task? For a moment, though the thought of safety seemed pleasing, you could not help but feel exceptionally disappointed at the idea of not even having a chance to win.

"I'm fine," you told yourself, picking up your stuff from the bedside, before heading off and out of the Hospital Wing, having to sneak through to ensure no one would catch you escaping that place of boredom. How many times have you ended up there already? Too many to count. Those times that Malfoy broke your arm. Yes, it was interesting to look back on it from the perspective you had now. He did, somehow, help you with your second task quite a large amount, therefore you knew you owed him. But, where was he now? Had he been worried about you? Perhaps he was in the dorm with Pansy, or getting up to no good again. You checked a nearby clock, and found that it was eleven in the evening. Draco was certainly not asleep. He never was at this time. That was a good thing about him, he was always awake during the same hours as you, meaning you never felt completely isolated from the world and there was always someone to pester if needed.

But, you quickly debated: which common room to go to first? The Gryffindor one, where all your friends were? Or perhaps the Hufflepuff one, where your boyfriend was? Or the Slytherin one, where you belonged, and where you were most likely to find Mr Malfoy. Thinking, you realised you did not quite feel like seeing Cedric right at the minute, due to the remaining shock of seeing Cho be his important person. Even you and Draco hadn't stooped as low to being each other's important people. Moreover, you did not feel the energy to explain to your friends everything that went down in the Black Lake. And so, that left the one and only Slytherin common room, which you went to.

Upon walking in, your eyes caught Blaise Zabini's, who was sitting on the table at the back of the common room.

"Potter," he said with a sneer, "congrats on second place."

"Second place?" You asked, stepping further into the common room before placing your clothes down from the task, which had now dried. One of the teachers must have dressed you in the clothes you were wearing, which were awkward, oversized hospital clothes; a long, white dress. You kind of looked like an asylum patient. You kept a hold of your wand, and then made your way over to the table on which Blaise sat. His eyes watched you walk towards him, and he awaited for you to sit, which you did eventually. There were two notebooks before him, and there were what looked like Potions notes in them both. He was clearly doing work, but it seemed like he was not doing it alone.

"Yeah, didn't you hear?" He said, somewhat mockingly, as though he was testing you, but somewhat earnestly.

"I came out last. Surely I got last place."

"They granted you second place because you saved two people."

"No way?" Your eyes widened. "Are you for real?"

"Yeah. Draco seemed pretty pleased."

"Wow," you sat back in your chair, acknowledging what was just said to you. "And Cedric?"

"First place."

"He," you paused, "he saved Cho, didn't he?"

"Who?"

"The girl from Ravenclaw."

"Oh, yeah," Blaise nodded. "Bit awkward, isn't it?" He sneered.

"Awkward?"