t h i r t y - f o u r

Today is Friday and the funeral is in two hours. I'm not mentally prepared at all and I'm sure my aunt isn't either. She's been frantically cleaning the house and fixing things up today, and I've been trying my hardest to keep up and support her.

Harry and I have stayed here the past two days in an attempt to keep my aunt comfortable, which I think it's helped a little bit. I know she enjoys my company and I'm glad we've been able to move on from the past, even if I was selfish and irrational.

"I'm going to go get dressed for the funeral." I announce, standing to my feet. My aunt gives me a simple nod before going back to tidying the living room.

I make my way down the hall and to my old bedroom, pushing opened the door.

"Hey Love, how are you feeling?"

I'm greeted by Harry sat on my bed, dressed in a white button up and black blazer.

"I'm okay," I sigh, "I just wish my aunt could calm down a bit, but I know she's just stressed."

"I'm sure things will get easier." Harry reassures me, giving me a soft smile.

"I suppose you're right." I let out a breathe and make my way into my closet, rummaging through the clothes I left behind.

As I look through the hangers, I finally find a simple black dress and decide on that. I quickly tug the clothing from the hanger and hold it in front of my self.

"Do you think this would be okay?" I question, grabbing Harry's attention.

"I think it looks lovely, everything looks great on you." He beams and I give him a sheepish smile.

*******

As we pull up to the church, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I quickly feel anxiety wash over me. I haven't been to this building in so long, and it just feels foreign. I used to come to this church multiple times a week with my aunt and uncle, but everything is different now.

"Are you ready to go in?" Harry questions, snapping me back to reality.

"Oh uhm, yeah." I mumble as I unbuckle my seat belt and Harry does the same.

"I'll be right beside you the whole time, we can make it through this." Harry says sweetly, grasping my hand in his much larger one.

"I love you." He smiles, bringing my hand to his lips and planting a kiss on it.

"I love you, too." I reply, giving him a weak smile.

After a few minutes of mentally preparing myself, we exit the car and make our way up to the church. As I enter the building, a wave of nostalgia hits me and I feel like crying. It's so surreal to be back here, especially without my uncle who used to bring me here everyday.

*******

We all settle into the pews of the church and I glance around, checking who's here and who's not. I see many of my distant family members who knew my uncle, and many members of the church who attend regularly. It's crazy to see all of these people here, all for my uncle.

I continue to look around, my eyes scanning the room. A soft gasps leaves my lips when I spot someone I wish I hadn't.

"What is it?" Harry questions quietly, noticing my changed state.

"N-nothing." I stutter out, averting my eyes back to the front of the church.

Why is my mom here? Why would she even bother coming when she couldn't claim me as her own daughter in front of a stranger?

Finally, the minister taps on the microphone and begins to speak.

"Hello everyone," he says taking a slight pause so people have a moment to give him their attention, "We are gathered her today to remember the life of Charlie Davis."

I glance over at my aunt, who's already in tears. I feel awful for my aunt, she misses him so much, and truthfully, I do too

"He was a very kind and loving man, who cared for many people." The minister continues, his eyes scanning the room.

"He had a lovely life named Clare, and a niece he loved her much named Grace. Charles loved his family with all of his heart, and I'm sure he considered all of you his family."

A tear slips from down my cheek as reality sets in. My uncle is truly gone and he's not coming back.

The minister continues talking, but I find myself losing focus and unable to hear him. I'm flooded with memories of my uncle and all of the good times we used to have.

Even when I was in my mother's care, my uncle was there for me. I remember when I was a little girl, my uncle would pick me up and take me to the park for the whole day. He would push me on the swings for hours if I asked him to. I miss those times in a way, things were simpler, but it's time for me to grow up now and face reality.

At least I got to tell my uncle I love him, I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to even talk to him again after leaving. I though he hated me, but in all reality my aunt and uncle were just worried about me.

I just wish things didn't happen this way, but that's the thing about life; everything is unexpected.

I'm dragged back to reality just as the minister finishes the service.

"I would like to invite you all to the lunch we are having next door for the family, please make your way to the activities building where we will be hosting." The minister says, stepping off the stage.