Chapter Twenty Five

Belle stood in the kitchen watching out the window for any sign of Ethan. He had called early that morning to tell her he had gotten temporary custody of the kids and would drop them off soon.

She cleaned the entire house in anticipation of them coming home and now could do nothing more than pace in front of the window, sipping her hot tea.

She hoped he had good news when he came but even if he didn't having the kids back was the best thing for her right now. When she woke up Alex was gone and he absence had left a dull ache where her heart once was. An emptiness that echoed through her.

The car pulled up and she set her tea down, opening the door and stepping onto the porch.
Seth tumbled from the vehicle rushing toward the house as fast as his small legs could carry him, throwing himself into Belles arms.

"Aunt Belle! I came back!" He cried happily.

"I know, I'm so glad you did, " she replied hugging him even closer.

Ethan stepped onto the porch behind Seth Olivia sleeping peacefully in the car seat he carried.

"Ethan, please tell me you have some good news."

Belle stood and Seth bounced passed her and into the house.

"Let's go inside, "He said gently.

She knew by his tone and the look on his face the news wasn't something she needed to hear. She gave a small nod and held the door for him to go inside.

Once Seth was settle with a fresh sandwich in front of the television and Olivia down for her nap Ethan and Belle sat at the kitchen table.

"There a court date in two weeks, on the thirtieth, it will decide where they go officially and for good."

"Okay, "

"The Judge is Samuel Leonard...hes one of my fathers oldest friends. They go to social events, the golf together...he is...the last judge we want right now."

Belle felt her heart sink, for the first time she was forced to face the very real reality that she was going to lose the children she had come to love.

"Oh..." She managed.

"I'm sorry, " Ethan said gently.

"It's not your fault."

"Look, it's not over. Okay? I'll do my best I promise you I will do everything I can but...I don't want you to be blindsided by the decision."

"Thank you, I wish...I wish Alex could have had you for a lawyer all those years ago."

"Speaking of Alex, have you seen him lately?" He asked.

Belle felt herself blush and glanced away before giving a small nod.

"My brother is a good man, he would be a good father and husband....but...right now he's a liability for you."

"I know that so does he. He left this morning without a word."

"Maybe in another time another town it could work but, not now."

"It's  never the right time for us. We have bad timing I guess."

"True Love usually does, " Ethan supplied as he stood.

She smiled up at him and he gave her a small pat on the shoulder and then exited the house.
She could hear Seth still watching TV in the other room, it was a sound she hoped she could get used too.