Chapter Twenty Three.

Ethan came over later that evening and Belle knew from the look on his face he didn't have good news, after letting him in a getting him a glass of water they sat down at the kitchen table together.

"It's going to go to court, I can't stop that." He said.

"Okay."

"So what we need to do is present the base proof we can that you would be a better fit for these kids than my parents could be. You have no record of any kind that looks good, being a teacher also looks good and Maggie using you directly in the will is going to be a small leg up but..."He trailed off.

"But what? What is it?"

"Your involvement with my brother...I don't like how that makes you look and I have no doubt my parents will use it."

"What? why? That's ridiculous."

"I agree but the judge will comb through every piece of your life including your relationships with other people. My brother...has a pretty nasty history, you included."

"He's a different person and...he's a good man," She said tears in her eyes.

"I know that believe me, I do but my parents...they will use him as a villain if it helps them get leverage."

"We just started talking...he's been so good for Seth."

"He served hard time, Belle. For murder, he had sexual relations with a minor and he's a recovering alcoholic. If you didn't know him would you want someone like that around those kids?"

"No...I suppose I wouldn't," She admitted sadly.

"Look I love my brother he's a good man and God knows most of his problems came from living with my father but...for now at least I think you need to stay away from him."

She had a feeling it would come to this Alex or the children, but it still hit her closer to home than she expected. Her face must have revealed the pain she felt, Ethan reached out to grip her hand.

"I'm sorry Belle."

"He's going to get dragged through the mud over this, isn't he?" She asked not looking at him.

"Who?"

"Alex, he's going to get painted as the bad guy again...just because I love him."

"Yes...he is. My dad is a bastard and he's ruthless he won't go easy on Alex."

"What else can I do?" She asked wiping away some stray tears.

"Nothing for now, just keep your head down and stay away from Alex. I'll be in touch, I will try and get the kids back until the hearing or at least get you visitation."

"Okay."

"I'm really sorry about all this Belle, I had no idea my parents would do this."

"It's not your fault, I appreciate your help."

He gave her a small smile, one that reminded her of Alex when he was younger and still full of the hope they would make it. He stood taking his briefcase and leaving her alone.

She sat in the kitchen listening to the clock tick, Jade had left after dinner and Landon had called asking if she wanted him to come over but she declined. Right now there was only one person she wanted to see and it was the one person she had to stay away from.

She was drinking a cup of hot tea and trying in vain to adjust to the silence that had taken over the empty house, she wanted her kids back.

A soft knock on the back door pulled her from her thoughts, she stood and opened the door to find Alex on the other side, tear burned the back of her throat and filled her eyes.

"Alex..."

"Baby," He stepped forward pulling her into his arms and kicking the door closed behind him.

"Shhh, I'm here. It's going to be okay." He soothed kissing the top of her head.

"You don't understand," She said with a sob.

"Yes I do, I talked to Ethan."

She looked up at him through her tears, gripping his t-shirt in her hands. He leaned down and kissed her lips gently then brushed back her hair from her face.

"You're still so beautiful."

"I love you...I still love you too," She said quickly, needing him to know.

He pulled her into his arms, holding her as tight as was possible. When she pulled away she gave a small tug on his arm, prompting him to follow her. She led him through the house and up the stairs to her bedroom and to her bed, after kicking off his shoes he climbed into the bed pulling her into his arms.

"Ethan...said I can't see you anymore," She said softly.

"I know, he told me...I just..I wanted to see you one more time."

"Tomorrow we have to cut all ties, no calls, no texts, nothing...promise me." She begged looking up at him.

As hard as losing him again would be she needed him to agree with her on it, he had to be strong for both of them. If he persisted she wouldn't have the strength to resist.

"I promise," He said kissing the top of her head.

"Hold me until tomorrow," She said softly.

He gave a small nod, tears in his own eyes as she pressed closer to him.